• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Displaying work at home

I looked around, but perhaps my google-fu is not up to par these days - I'd love to see how folks are displaying their work around the house. I'm considering adding some shelving to display my work, and would like to get some inspiration from others. I'm considering building a sort of Krenov-inspired display, but one hesitation is that the turned work might be de-emphasized with a nice display stand/shelf, so the other end of the spectrum is in play as well, with trim colored painted shelves, to allow the turned work to be highlighted.

Would love to hear thoughts about the pros and cons of these two options, plus pictures of how you've displayed work within your home.

Hahah. Since I started collecting vessels 40 years ago and only started turning a year ago, my wife won’t let me keep any more bowls or hollow forms—I’ve given away virtually every bowl I’ve made. But here’s one display I have at home on floating shelves. None of the pieces were made by me.

Attachments

• IMG_8148.jpeg
    IMG_8148.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
So far it’s the fireplace mantle, an Ethan-Allen sideboard, a china cabinet, and a few smaller tables around the house. The sideboard and China cabinet are for sale, as I am designing a built-in which will cover an entire wall of the dining room, with an eye-level band of glass-door shelves for display.

Attachments

• IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    633.6 KB · Views: 38

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
See my "Introducing Rocco" thread in the off-topic forum.

I keep 5-6 pieces that my wife particularly likes in the house, plus an everyday salad bowl. When a new piece comes in one of the old ones gets booted out. There are probably 20 bowls around the shop holding screws, bits and bobs, organ parts, and other small disassembled projects.

Hi Kirk,
I built this display table from maple and walnut pieces that I had left over from other projects. I made it specifically for when & if I do an art exhibit. I wanted to keep the table simple so that the focus would be on the items being displayed not on the table itself. Right now, the table resides in our living room area. My wife is very artistic and does all the decorating for the house, so she selects the items she wants to display. As soon as I have time - I have ideas to build a few small floating shelves or maybe even a few small "built-into the wall" style nichos with accent lighting that seem to be popular in art galleries in places like Samta Fe & Taos. I have built a few Southwest furniture pieces that hold some of the work I've made over the years - but I consider them to be normal everyday household furnishings, casual - not a formal or specific type of display.
Dave

Attachments

• display table.jpg
    display table.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 41
Can anyone tell me why my image and others in this forum show up as a thumbnail attachment and not bigger and part of the message? Maybe the image is too large? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

Can anyone tell me why my image and others in this forum show up as a thumbnail attachment and not bigger and part of the message? Maybe the image is too large? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks,
When adding an image you have the choice of insert thumbnail or full image. Possible that the full image choice disappears if the image is too large, haven’t checked that.

I generally opt for the thumbnail, which allows you to provide a nice resolution image, without bombing the group with images that make it hard to follow your message.

Thanks Mark! I used "Attach Files", but you inspired me to find the "insert image" button which I will use going forward!
Click on image to enlarge and yours takes almost the whole page.

We have three places loaded: Etagere in front room, sofa table in the hall ( both top and bottom shelves) , and the entertainment center.IMG_8733.JPG

Last edited:
Not exactly a display for display purposes, I stack the next batch of pieces ready to go to the gallery on a side table in the hallway where I go past all the time when moving about the house. That way it gives me a chance to spot any of them that don't aesthetically come up to muster before packing them up to go to the gallery.

Otherwise, other than any utility pieces that are in regular use, I would only have one or two pieces in the house that I have kept back for looking at, like the piece that appears in the panel beside my posts.

20220912_084201.jpg

Gerald, what a great use for the "old-school" entertainment center.
Thanks . It only took 11 months to complete that monster. I usually say 10K when someone asks what I would do one for but I think with inflation maybe 18k now.

IMG_0648.jpgIMG_0649.jpgIMG_0650.jpg
This is my old school built in entertainment center built about 16 years ago to accommodate the largest Tube type TV available, of locally sourced northern red oak finished with Watco Danish oil medium walnut to match all of the other woodwork in the house. The turnings shown are all by me personally except the plate above the TV and that is by Linda Ferber which I received at a Christmas gift exchange at the MWA meeting in 2005.

I don't really have a home display. There are a few things sitting or hanging around, but I'm more interested in the process of making than the end product. The main place things I make are seen is club show and tells. I don't turn to sell.

My Christmas tree ornaments usually went into boxes come January 1. This year my new wife decided she liked them so much, she found a hanging mobile that the ornaments could hang from and are placed in front of a window. About 15 of them. The other items I have turned lately are hollow turnings and bowls that hold change and guitar picks. They sit either on our mantel piece or on a floor lamp with five shelves. All of this has to compete with not only my artwork (screen prints and photographs) but the artwork we collect from our travels around the world. I'll soon be completing my 'man cave' where I can display more of my work (and my antique clocks). It is a conundrum. t

Unfortunately quantities of small wood items are difficult to display and not look like the bargain table of a Craigslist ad for a garage sale. I've found displayed items that do attract interest are those with brilliant coloring, natural wood just does not do it.

Do those of you who display within easy hand reach invite visitors to handle?

Thanks to all for the inspiration.

Great to see all of the pieces in their homes.

Though, my fear was perfectly summed up by Scott - "Still have a hundred pieces all over the place."

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Unfortunately quantities of small wood items are difficult to display and not look like the bargain table of a Craigslist ad for a garage sale. I've found displayed items that do attract interest are those with brilliant coloring, natural wood just does not do it.

Do those of you who display within easy hand reach invite visitors to handle?
I wish Jamie Donaldson was active on the forum. When I visited his place last summer, he had a vast collection of pieces on display. They were mostly small pieces, and located on narrow shelving that wrapped around a couple of rooms. He let me pick up and handle whatever I wanted, and had pieces from just about every turner you could name. I was floored.

Website
www.ovwg.org
I wish Jamie Donaldson was active on the forum. When I visited his place last summer, he had a vast collection of pieces on display. They were mostly small pieces, and located on narrow shelving that wrapped around a couple of rooms. He let me pick up and handle whatever I wanted, and had pieces from just about every turner you could name. I was floored.
I really want to see Jamie's collection someday!! I hear he has one of my boxes... the Black and White Ebony Bell Box he got at the OVWG symposium auction..

Back