• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dominican Republic

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
@ Steve: From what I have seen of what it can do to chainsaws, I would say if you want to try turning Palm, try turning a stick of string cheese....

@ Ted: If you are planning on bringing back wood from another country, You will want to be sure of it being kiln dried and certified for import to the USA - Chances are anything else would get quarantined and then destroyed, so I wouldn't bother trying to bring wood across the border - You'd be sure to run afoul of customs - they take a rather dim view of potential invasive species coming in, so anything you do want to bring in would probably have to have some sort of clearance certificate.

@ Steve: From what I have seen of what it can do to chainsaws, I would say if you want to try turning Palm, try turning a stick of string cheese....

@ Ted: If you are planning on bringing back wood from another country, You will want to be sure of it being kiln dried and certified for import to the USA - Chances are anything else would get quarantined and then destroyed, so I wouldn't bother trying to bring wood across the border - You'd be sure to run afoul of customs - they take a rather dim view of potential invasive species coming in, so anything you do want to bring in would probably have to have some sort of clearance certificate.
Good to know, thanks.

He said wood not grass
Ha! Palm was the only thing I could think of. Sounds like it would be a new challenge. I'd try it.

(edit)
Look at this, you can turn palm! And you just need a specialized scraper to turn it. This tool will have everyone using carbide scapers abandoning them tomorrow. But seriously, the finished wood looks really cool! I'd take a lump of it for sure.
View: https://youtu.be/jqHwgPzaUwk?si=3zwqtqwyEQi5CjoX

Last edited:
Ha! Palm was the only thing I could think of. Sounds like it would be a new challenge. I'd try it.

(edit)
Look at this, you can turn palm! And you just need a specialized scraper to turn it. This tool will have everyone using carbide scapers abandoning them tomorrow. But seriously, the finished wood looks really cool! I'd take a lump of it for sure.
View: https://youtu.be/jqHwgPzaUwk?si=3zwqtqwyEQi5CjoX
Now I will be out back looking for a nice piece of rebar to sharpen up.

I tried one piece of palm that was bowl grain orientation. Never forgave the guy who gave it to me. I do have one end grain palm bowl which was turned by a friend. Beautiful piece. I do not think I will try it again....

robo hippy

Back