• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dream Lathe - what would you do?

Ok,
Suppose you're an intermediate turner and you just fell into a bit of money.
Even after satisfying your SO's desire for some "mod-a-go-go-stretch elastic pants" (extra credit for citing the reference) you have enough $$$ left over to buy pretty much whatever you want.

suppose you mostly turn bowls but realize its a big world out there.
lets also say +- $5 grand for the basic setup

what brand & model would you buy
oneway
poolewood
nova
powermatic

why?

points will be deducted for pedantic rhetoric and/or soapboxing.

Either the Robust or the OneWay. The Oneway speaks for itself and can be added to so you can turn whatever size you need. It has the weight to back it up also. The design is perfect for shavings to fall off of it instead of building up on it. The Robust I've not turned on but would seriously look at in that price range. I've not turned on the others mentioned but would talk with Bill Grumbine about the Poolewood as he has one. I'm sure others will chime in about the Powermatic, I'm just a big fan of the design of it. The VB and Stubby should be added to the list of possibles also. I'm leary of the VB due to it having the spindle or whatever float on a cushion of oil or something like that. Brian(who hopes to have that kinda change saved up shortly for a large upgrade)

Website
www.seantroy.com
I went through that some years ago and went with the Powermatic 4224. I have never had a problem with it and was able to buy all the tools and chucks I wanted with the savings over the One Way. I would do the same all over again with out a second thought. The powermatic is heavier and has the thickest ways of any of the lathes out there.

I think if you mostly turn bowls a Stubby or VB is a good choice. It allows you to fairly easily use a bowl lathe to turn spindles rather than the other way around. I'm learning that being right there in front of the bowl is REALLY nice. As awesome as a Oneway is (and I do lust for them) It seems for bowl turning one of the others has the edge. My friend has a Poolewood and it is a beautiful machine and the swivel headstock takes care of this pretty well too. I'm just not too sure about the current availability.

I just had to put my 2 cents in on this one. Where money is not the problem - buy the best. I think the Oneway 2436 is the best. The Powermatic has a bunch of fans though. The Stubby is good also. I have never turned on a Powermatic, but have used the Stubby. The Stubby was a good lathe, but I seemed to pinch my fingers between part A and B. Good for small places though. I own a Oneway 2436. Realize that I am used to it. But I think it is the best out there. If you get an extra banjo and the short extension - it is great for turning hollow vessels. If you get one - get all the bells and whistles - make sure you get the remote off/on switch and the RF filter (otherwise it will interfere with the radio and TV). I went from a small old lathe to a medium Delta to a General 260 (20") and then to the Oneway. Best purchase I have made on a tool. Also I have had very good help from Oneway - when I first purchased the lathe (at the Pasadena Symposium) they had not put on the RF filter. Found out when I turned it on at home. Called Oneway and they sent me one the next day. Then later I snapped a bolt on the tailstock - again I called and received one in a few days (no charge - and the breakage was my fault). If money was really not a problem I would get one with stainless steel ways (unknown cost). When I get rich.
Hugh

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Stubby for me. I turn all sorts of things from spindles and bowls, hollow vessels and miniature goblets. I think the Stubby is the most versatile lathe on the market unless you want to turn 10 foot columns.

As a Stubby 1000 owner for the past 3+ years, I'll have to say I've not found a lathe to replace it that is still being produced. Poolewood is not an option any longer (that was my No. 2 choice) and its reincarnation into Silverdrive is not, as yet, available "over here." I turn bowls and jars (hollowforms) but am finishing up a Victorian restoration job for a friend in my group involving 40 baluster stair spindles in poplar that are 30" and 35" long. My short-bed Stubby handled them easily. We're also considering redoing the six 10 ft. columns on his front porch. I turned a 38" candle wreath for a friend's son's Scout project for his church. I did the wreath, and then the boy learned some turning by doing the plate candleholders. No special set-ups, no outboard rigs & jigs.

But

Rather than you giving in to one set of fanatics or the other, you should find experienced turners in your area who have and use each machine on your list, go there and turn on them, and ask questions. I took a test-drive on a smaller Stubby 750 by spinning a 24" maple bowl, then went home and ordered my lathe. If you like, you can PM me and I'll put you in touch with Stubby owners willing to give you a test drive..

MM

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have turned on the Stubbys, Powermatic, and Poolwoods. All good lathes. I think each has their goods and not so goods. On any of these the not so goods are usually subjective points. I also looked at custom lathes, but they lacked the fit and finish I expected at that price range. I wanted something that worked correctly right out of the box.
I have a 2436 with the large outboard extension, and I had a 2036 before that (they hold their resale value pretty well too!).

That said, I would look at the Robust and the VB36. The only thing Robust doesn't have going for it is a track record. They had some real good input from some well known and seasoned turners to get the product they have today, and I think it will continue to evolve as well.

If you are looking to turn up to a 20-24" sized bowl (object), then they are all great products.

If the lathe you choose has the option, I would add, or see if the option for future expansion exists.

Indexing that isn't on the outside to get all gummed up or in the way. 48 hole is nice, but Oneway also has the option for 96 hole!
remote start stop with a longer cable to make it more movable around the lathe
braking resistor. It gets frustrating when you have a large off balance piece that when you turn off the lathe trips the inverter.
outboard extensions. Sometimes you want that all around unencumbered access.
remote speed control
3HP VS motor. Especially if you are going to turn at the lathes upper size capabilities.
Through hole headstock for easy vacuum attachment.
(and I don't know $5K will get you there exactly but real close)

Looking at the Robust site, they show a hoist coming soon, that would be cool instead of hooking up my engine hoist when I need it or three friends. (Hmm, leaves me a few short ;)

Last edited:
Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Robust

I just made that decision and chose the ROBUST 25 x 28 with the tilt-away feature. I checked it out thoroughly in Louisville and really liked what I saw. The lathe that the Robust is replacing is the small Stubby, the S500. That said, when considering a larger lathe I respect the Stubby 750 and 1000, the Oneway 2436, the Vicmarc VL300, and the Powermatic 3520 and 4224.

After doing my homework it came down to one lathe, the Robust. Much has been said of Oneway supporting their products, and fairly so, but I personally feel that Brent English who makes the Robust will provide equally good support. And I like the seven year warranty on the bearings. Having had elbow problems in the past I wanted a good solution to the "heavy tailstock issue". Here I believe that the tilt-away Robust solution is superior to the Oneway pivoting one. I like Oneway lathes - I have a 1018 which is great for my spindle work. But I obviously chose the Robust when choosing my dream machine.

Ask me again in about three or four weeks. :D

Website
www.woodturner.org
Oneway now offers stainless steel bed as an option. Robust has a stainless bed by default. That may be an attractive feature to some people - it is certainly much easier to keep clean.

If it was me I would get a Stubby. Pretty versatile with the moveable bed.

Washington IL - Central Illinois Peoria Area
Stubby

I'd weigh in on the side of the Stubby. Solid machine. Big advantages are the smaller footprint and I dont' have to straddle cold, cold ways when one wants to get up close and personal with a bowl.

One of your problems will be that the lathes in the 5,000 plus price class are all capable machines. The correct one is the one that fits your particuliar set of circumstances. In my case, I prized the smaller footprint. Others may want to turn 45 inch bedposts. Each need directs one to a different machine.

The best choice is clear to have one of each - wife willing.

Dennis

A number of posts mentioned the Poolewood, it's true the Euro 2000 is not available any more but Silverdrive, the company who designed and manufactured the original 2000 have their own range of lathes out.

I had the opportunity to review the Silverdrive Statesman 280, this is now in the August issue of the Woodturning magazine, it's also available online the Creative Woodturning web site.

The range now includes a number of lathes to suit most pockets and capabilities with swing heights upto 25".

Regards....Mike Swain RPT

Hello Ed,

All the Silverdrive lathes have a solid centre as on the Euro 2000.

There are a number of vacuum systems that will fit this type of lathe, I also know Silverdrive are working on their own vacuum adaptor to be supplied as an extra.

Something I noticed in their special project area were a number of toolrests that collect dust and deliver it through the stem into a collector housed in the base of the lathe. There were also thread cutting jigs to fit the lathes and, under wraps a very secret, extremely high powered bowl turning lathe that runs on a very small 1/2hp motor.

Jeff Jilg said:
If it was me I would get a Stubby. Pretty versatile with the moveable bed.

WHAT?? :eek: This from one of the most vocal turners on the attributes of the Powermatic 3520?? :D

I still love my PM :)

Cutting Crew said:
A number of posts mentioned the Poolewood, it's true the Euro 2000 is not available any more but Silverdrive, the company who designed and manufactured the original 2000 have their own range of lathes out.

I had the opportunity to review the Silverdrive Statesman 280, this is now in the August issue of the Woodturning magazine, it's also available online the Creative Woodturning web site.

The range now includes a number of lathes to suit most pockets and capabilities with swing heights upto 25".

Mike the review is nice, but without a dealer and product support structure in the US, this machine would not be a viable option to turners "over here" even if we knew the delivered US cost of machine less VAT plus import duty and freight. Since Ellsworth was the Poolewood importer, do you know why he hasn't picked up the Silverdrive deal? I remember he was very committed to the design that hasn't changed much from the Euro line.

Having spent some time on a Poolewood, I was seriously considering it when lathe shopping although the vacuum setup was a drawback only because of the (then) high cost of the only available adapter and chucks.

m

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
As an intermediate turner the best thing you could do is take $2k and use it on classes with folks like Ellsworth, Bosch, Clewes, Stirt etc ....
Go to their studios or Arrowmont, Campbell, Provo etc. Then spend the rest on a General 260 or Powermatic 3520. You'll be much happier and be a better turner.

Most importnat, before buying a lathe evaluate what you want in a lathe. Find people who will let you turn a bit on their machine or a dealer who will let you try one.
Or go to an AAW sysmpsoium where they have all the machines. Arrowmont has most of the machine people have been suggesting.

For me the Oneway 2436 is the best production lathe available.

It is hard to find an unhappy Stubby owner. The Poolewood, VB, and big Powermatic are well thought of by their owners. I consider the Robust more of a custom made lathe but it is worth a look.

I've turned on a half dozen stubbys and they are real nice machines. If you have a space problem the Stubby is the best bet. Its versitility is a negative for me. I want a lathe that is ready to go. It also takes a short shanked morse tapers.

I've turned once on each the Poolewood and VB. I don't like the poolewood because it has a solid spindle. I like using a whole bunch of stuff that has Morse tapers. As for the VB I couldn't get comfortable turning on the headstock side of a peice mounted in the chuck.

My 2436 has a shortbed and long bed available 24/7, no cranking/sliding/ adjustment required. I like a long bed for hollowforms since I use a back rest. I also use some of those #3 Morse taper drill bits.

Happy Turning,
Al

Last edited:
Mr. G

If money is no object why not spend a little to go to a week long class maybe at Craft Supply in Provo Utah. Most of the brands you are considering are in their shop. You could work on them and study with some outstanding instructors. This way you got new skills and a new lathe to practice them on.

Just my two cents worth.

Frank

Oh yea - Powermatic is my vote for general prupose machine and maybe a Vega for a big bowl only machine. Get two!

Al,

The Poolewood (and Silverdrive) all have morse tapers cut in their spindles. However, because they are direct drive (rather than belt/sheave systems), they can't use thru-the-headstock vacuum adapters and draw bars because the motor shafts are solid instead of being drilled out. Morse taper drives and things are used by running a drilled capnut onto the spindle first and then inserting the taper item. The spur drive is removed by unscrewing the nut which pops the spur out. If you forget to put on the nut, you're in for an interesting time getting the drive center out! :( I actually adopted that system for my Stubby which is set up next to the wall such that I can't get the knockout bar into the spindle to remove the drive.

I'm waiting for some reply from Silverdrive regarding US sales as I'm considering a second lathe.

Hello Mark,

With regard to getting the Silverdrive lathes into the United States, over the last few weeks I have been speaking to a number of people on behalf of Silverdrive looking for advice and direction as to what would be the best way to go about getting the lathes over there.

When I spoke to David Ellsworth, he felt he didn't have the space to store lathes and be able to import them. I know that Silverdrive are extremely keen to get lathes into the United States and currently they are looking to visit one of the major shows or at least get a lathe onto an exhibitors stand to give the woodturning public a look at the changes and improvements that have been made to the new Statesman range.

Regards....Mike

Dream Lathe

I sold my Oneway and got a Vicmarc VL 300 shortbed. For what I do the Oneway has a small post ( 1" ) for a tool rest and it turned on me at the worst times. Also the Vicmarc has much less vibration and is about the most "user friendly" lathe out there. The service is very good but due to the time difference you have to wait a day for a reply. An earlier suggestion about attending a workshop in Provo, Ut. is a good one because this is where I learned about the Vicmarc. I didn't buy the Craft Supply version though. The factory model has better fearures. I hope I am not on a rant here but the Vicmarc is just a joy to turn on and is definitely my "dream lathe".

Ron

Cutting Crew said:
Hello Mark,

With regard to getting the Silverdrive lathes into the United States, over the last few weeks I have been speaking to a number of people on behalf of Silverdrive looking for advice and direction as to what would be the best way to go about getting the lathes over there.

Mike,

I e-mailed them re landed/cleared pricing and support. Waiting to hear back.

m

mrGeeze said:
Ok,
Suppose you're an intermediate turner and you just fell into a bit of money.

MrGeeze,

Since you said you are an intermediate turner then the only person that can answer your questions would be you. You already know what you like, how you like to do it. Any of the lathes in the $5000+ range are fantastic.

The only decision to be made is which one you like best, not which one someone else likes best.

See if you can test drive the various lathes for yourself and then you will know which one is for you.

Buy the one that will put the biggest smile on your face each time you walk into your shop.

-e- said:
oneway 2436
3hp
Wheel set
Remote Start / Stop
RFI Filter
96 indexing positions
Braking Resistor

2 banjos
17" Outboard extension
6" toolrest
Multi-purpose toolrest
Exterior Curved toolrest
tailstock swinger

Large outboard extension with tailstock riser

e,

You left out empty 2-car garage sized space in which to work! :D :D

Can't go wrong with Oneway, Stubby, or Robust. Personally, I'd probably spring for a Robust on the simple basis that they have only recently come into existence in response to the growing, high end lathe market, and so the lathe is designed for today's turners.

Now, as has been said a couple of times, what I'd actually do if I had the money would be to get a Powermatic and take a bunch of week long classes. Any of the above lathes will meet any turning needs you have quite adequately for the forseeable future, with the differences from brand to brand being more in the "gee, that's cool and works well" categories rather than in actual functionality. Your skill and experience will be your greatest limitations and there's no better way to break loose and grow than good classes.

As an intermediate turner, get one teacher who's known for basic technique, design, and general skills. One who's known for thinking "outside the box" and for pioneering new ideas. One who's main focus is design, carving, surface treatment, etc. Each will give you a broad range but each will also have specialties that will grow your own work.

Three good ones are Betty Scarpino, Michael Hosaluk, and Luke Mann. (I name them because I've seen them all).

Dietrich

I spent almost 2 years deciding what my "last" lathe would be while saving up to buy it. During my search I tested out Stubby, Oneway, and Vicmarc lathes.

I had the pleasure of speaking with many professional turner's and hobbyist's alike. The one thing I can say is that anyone who used the "premium" lathes listed above were all very happy and biased toward the lathes they had. None of them said, "Oh my lathe is good but I wish I had a such and such". I just don't think you can go wrong with any one of those maker's.

That said, I ended up going with a Vicmarc VL300. I've had it for almost a year and I LOVE it.

Robust Lathe

I looked for a new, larger lathe for several months. Oneway, Vivmarc, Stubby, Powermatic and Robust. I bought the large Robust with the tilt-away
tailstock and 3hp motor. I didn't make the wrong choice. Robust's warranty
is the best in the business, The power available is massive, the quality is
excellent and it's made in America.....the only one on your list. The tilt-away
tailstock is the best accessory avilable bar none. The Robust is an excellent lathe and an excellent value.

Thanks e,

The brewery had completely slipped my mind. Definitely a requirement. Only need a sink, a gas grill burner, and a walk in closet sized space.

Dietrich

The problem with this thread is that I already own a 2436 Oneway lathe and now I want to order a new one with stainless steel ways.
Hugh

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I think a brewery next door would be better. I liked making my own libations, but you do need a place to get away from it all, once in a while. I have two car space and a big shed in the back for wood storage, and as you start adding more branches for your woodturning, metal work, welding, glass, I need the four car now.

What I don't like about stainless ways is the magnet from the remote won't stick (assuming they are using non-magnetic stainless)

My vote is for the VB after watching the video and looking at the spec.. It does take some getting use to. but from from someone who fixes machine daily I think that it was very well thought out. The sleeve bearings have less than .0001 play verse .001 in roller bearings. little thing like haveing clearance to turn allen wrenchs 360 degrees is what I liked. I have turned on it and the big powermatic. I felt the vb was better. go to their web site and ask for the video and spec sheet. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Back