• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Edward Doyle

Hello- relatively new to turning. Took a workshop end of last year, just picked up a wen 8 x 12 mini lathe. Looking forward to learning from this forum. I have 1 million questions but I’m going to search, as I am sure they have been answered before.

Happy to be here. Attaching a couple pictures, the stack of bowl blanks I picked up last weekend, and the circle I made without a bandsaw. That was fun.

If anyone can make out the wood types on those blanks, I would love any newbie tips you might have.

IMG_1700.jpegIMG_1704.jpeg

Hello- relatively new to turning. Took a workshop end of last year, just picked up a wen 8 x 12 mini lathe. Looking forward to learning from this forum. I have 1 million questions but I’m going to search, as I am sure they have been answered before.

Happy to be here. Attaching a couple pictures, the stack of bowl blanks I picked up last weekend, and the circle I made without a bandsaw. That was fun.

If anyone can make out the wood types on those blanks, I would love any newbie tips you might have.

View attachment 59556View attachment 59557
Welcome Edward!

There’s no shortage of experience or those willing to share knowledge in this forum.

If you haven’t already had the opportunity to investigate, there’s an AAW chapter, the Carolina Mountain Woodturners, that meets not far down the Blue Ridge Parkway from you at the Folk Art Center. In addition to this forum, a local chapter would be a great place to find helpful advice and freely shared experience.

Thanks, David! That group looks great- and the low membership fee plus open turning days at their workshop is an amazing deal.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Welcome! Jump in and ask any questions you can't find already on the Forum! Definitely join a club like David said above, my club the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild has Open Shops like the ones at CMW and they are an excellent way to learn. So many helpful teachers, and you will always learn something no matter your skill. Also, invest in quality tools when you need to purchase them, I wish I would have done that when I started! :)

Back