• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Food safe wood stabilizer?

I have a large cherry burl that I am making into bowls. The wood is not spalted, but there are thousands of hairline cracks in it. Normally for cracks like this I would wick some ca into it to strengthen and fill it. In this case, there are so many I can’t ignore to potential for food contamination. While I’m intending for these bowls to be decorative, there is always the possibility someone could put salad into one. Is there a food safe alternative to ca? If not, should I mark as not food safe? Or am I just overthinking this?

If there are 'thousands of cracks' I would hope that they are just on the ends of the log blanks. If the log sections are long, then no problem, just cut off an inch or 2 and the cracks are gone. With a burl, I am not sure. I generally don't use burl for daily use bowls because of all the cracks. The colored epoxy resins are supposed to be safe after curing. You need a vacuum chamber to make it work, and maybe an inside and outside form so you don't use as much resin. Never done that one before.

robo hippy

Stabilizer is usually not a crack filler. You need some body in the material to fill the gap. No such thing as food safe of either, but how would you think that someone would ingest the crack filler? You'll probably have to heat the wood to get better penetration of any kind of resin. It has to displace the air that will be trapped at the bottoms of the cracks.

Back