• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

For those of us who wear reading glasses......

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Ordered a half dozen varieties (not including the one above) after I had my cataract surgery and discovered I like the Dewalt bifocal "safety cheaters" best. They come in a variety of magnifications. Wear them continuously whenever I'm in the shop. The bifocal line is slightly lower than many, bringing it out of the way for almost everything for me.

Been using these for 20+ yrs. I’ve used several brands, but can’t remember them. Use them for shooting as well as in the shop. Polarized for driving, not sure if those are safety rated but dont need to be.

Last one’s I purchased 4-5 yrs ago are Dewalt. There are a slimmer, lighter frame design that I prefer.

I dont wear them when turning. They dont give me the broader field of vision of regular reading glasses. When turning I dont want to tilt my head up and down constantly vs moving my eyes while making a cut. So yeah, I violate safety stds by not wearing safety glasses under an approved face shield. My time to get actual bifocal glasses is getting near.

Whether the bifocal line is a pita will be personal choice.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Whether the bifocal line is a pita will be personal choice.
when they are prescribed and ground properly, that bifocal line is virtually un-noticeable - I hardly ever notice mine except in rare cases where I tilt my head back to get a little more magnification at a middling distance. May have to try a few different brands/pairs to find a pair that sits comfortably and the bifocal split is in "just the right spot" - they are not all the same (unless different brands are just re-branded from the same manufacturer)

I wore safety glasses for over 30 years and I used progressive lens so there was no bifocal line, got to where I could tilt my head and use the transition area between distance lens and reader area to read a little farther when looking at large prints, never used bi-focals.

If you are use to bi-focals you will have to give yourself some adjustment time to get used to progressive lens.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
The toric lenses I got when they did my cataract surgery have a quite wide focal range so when I'm turning (or working at the computer) I don't need any correction. so I'm not using the magnifier portion of the safety glasses. The magnifier comes into play for closer work than that.

I've never needed glasses for anything but reading, but working in a refinery safety glasses are required, would get them to cut the reading part really low and upper would be clear glass with a transition section pretty narrow, had to read and draw prints in the field. Worked great for me, course the company bought us a pair a year, we could get the best.

Going to get one eye checked in August for cataract, was told several years ago one was forming but then way too early to do anything with it, now the world is getting cloudy in that eye. When you lose an eye for awhile, depth perception really becomes a problem. Can't imagine life with one eye, close friend been that way since childhood.

Afraid to turn until this is taken care of, just fortunate this is fixable...

Last one’s I purchased 4-5 yrs ago are Dewalt. There are a slimmer, lighter frame design that I prefer. I dont wear them when turning. They dont give me the broader field of vision of regular reading glasses. When turning I dont want to tilt my head up and down constantly vs moving my eyes while making a cut. So yeah, I violate safety stds by not wearing safety glasses under an approved face shield.
It is possible to get safety glasses in which the whole lens is a magnifying/reading lens. They're not as prevalent as the bifocal kind. There are drawbacks to this approach, too, but for those who have trouble using the little bifocal, an alternative exists.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
It is possible to get safety glasses in which the whole lens is a magnifying/reading lens. They're not as prevalent as the bifocal kind. There are drawbacks to this approach, too, but for those who have trouble using the little bifocal, an alternative exists.
Yeah, that's what I use. I need magnification to see what I'm turning. I never liked that I had to hold my head just so in order to see thru the bifocal bit. I wear full-lens reader safety glasses at the lathe or bench, and just deal with not being able to see across the shop without removing them.

When I turn - I am wearing a Sundstrom 500/570 PAPR. So, the reading glasses are not as easily accessible. I am hoping the Dewalts or the one from Treeline will allow me to see comfortably - above the magnification area. I also wear scleral contact lenses - which are about the size of a dime, so - perhaps I have some added complications that are not commonplace. :rolleyes::D

Had cataract surgery a year ago. Opted for distance which requires reading glasses at 3.0 for 8-10” but they do little for times when I need to focus on things that are 4-5” away. Still looking for single safety glasses that offer no correction on top, reading @3.0 and magnification for very close in work.

Guessing that I am looking at prescription lenses with blended trifocal grind ($$$).

Had cataract surgery a year ago. Opted for distance which requires reading glasses at 3.0 for 8-10” but they do little for times when I need to focus on things that are 4-5” away. Still looking for single safety glasses that offer no correction on top, reading @3.0 and magnification for very close in work.

Guessing that I am looking at prescription lenses with blended trifocal grind ($$$).
Bob - try zenni.com or one of the other on-line lens manufacturers. I've worn glasses most of my life, and progressive bifocals for the last 20yrs. The last few pair have come from on-line because price is so much better. I even had one set made up with full bifocal magnification grind for working when I need to see up close above me (like working under sinks, etc), an electrician told me he had his bifocals ground with magnification on top instead of bottom for working overhead.

I tried some of the 'progressive' or transitional lenses for working in the shop, and found them to be almost worthless for detail work. Lighting didn't help much. The only useable part for detail work was a strip about 1/8 inch wide at the bottom of the lens. Going for bifocals and a set of reading glasses this time around. Can't do Japanese joinery if you can't see the lines.... Gave up on the 'store bought' reading glasses a long time ago. Both eyes aren't the same.

robo hippy

Bob - try zenni.com or one of the other on-line lens manufacturers. I've worn glasses most of my life, and progressive bifocals for the last 20yrs. The last few pair have come from on-line because price is so much better. I even had one set made up with full bifocal magnification grind for working when I need to see up close above me (like working under sinks, etc), an electrician told me he had his bifocals ground with magnification on top instead of bottom for working overhead.
Thanks, Ron. I will give them a call.

I wanted to use zenni unfortunately I'm blessed with an extra large brain so my frame choices are limited. When I did find the two frame choices that might have worked the guy told me they couldn't put prisms in the lenses on those.

Does anyone else have the problem of needing prisms? Where are you ordering safety glasses? I just had a computer pair and bi-focal set done at the local doctors office which used a lab in st Louis. But they were $450 a pair without frames and I figured I'd keep my cost down and order online but so far it's looking like I might have to bite the bullet.

I have a major sight problem as I am legaly blind in one eye and have a rare cancer behind the other good eye . As my sight is deteriuating I looked at magnifying glasses to use in conjunction with my normal glasses that have bifocals attachd in the bottom..
What I found was a safety head band type of safty glasses that also had two different magnifying lens attached that swing down when needed. This band also has a led light in it that is very useful as it lights the area that you are looking at. I only paid about $40 NZ for it at a local shop that sells electrical and security stuff.
When I am turning and need to see a bit clearer then I swing one of the magnifying lens down this works really well.
I have also taught myself how to turn by feel. qnd to do this I mount the wood in the lathe then set the rest etc then i place the chisel onto the rest and against the wood withdrawing the chisel a liitle before turning on the lathe it is very easy to turn then by feel and sound. NOW I know that some of you will say that this is dangerous but I have been doing this for over a year now without injury the hard part is getting the right shape but at least i am still turning and enjoying myself and I can still turn a pen even if the shape is a little different.
Keep turning there is always a way to achieve the end result.
Cheers Mike

Great discussion. I had lasik 22 years ago and have great distance. Now that I am getting older, my close up bison is dramatically changing and impacting me in the shop. I’m used to using magnifiers when doing extreme detail work but find I struggle with just about everything else in the shop.

I see pretty well with my progressive lens shop glasses, but I will occasionally use a handheld magnifying lens, and I wonder sometimes about getting a magnifier on a flexible/ gooseneck stand.

yes the maqgnifying glass helps alot I used to use a mounted glass on a swing arm but since getting the head one I havent usedit the head one also has alight on it that you can swing up or down and this with the magnifying lens that also swings is great.

A welder I used to work with had a pair of glasses made backwards to normal. He had the bifocal magnification in the top portion and the distance prescription in the bottom of the lens then he had both distance and close up where he needed it.

yes the maqgnifying glass helps alot I used to use a mounted glass on a swing arm but since getting the head one I havent usedit the head one also has alight on it that you can swing up or down and this with the magnifying lens that also swings is great.
Any pic of these to see if they can be found around here? Or a shop that carrys?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Any pic of these to see if they can be found around here? Or a shop that carrys?
I suspect he means something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752B9YGV/ I have them, very handy for close work, especially when I am cutting dovetails and/or sharpening chisels & plane irons, etc. Only drawback is they can't be worn with most typical faceshields, I don't think.

I suspect he means something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752B9YGV/ I have them, very handy for close work, especially when I am cutting dovetails and/or sharpening chisels & plane irons, etc. Only drawback is they can't be worn with most typical faceshields, I don't think.
Probably, I was hoping more for something like goggles that could be worn over rx glasses.

Take a look at MagEyes hands free magnifier. They fit over eyeglasses, and unlike similar headband designs, the focal point is 18" or so away, instead of 3" or 4", so you can work more comfortably. Rockler was carrying them, but unfortunately they are neing discontinued.

Back