• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Funny that.....

Due to several different things going on in my life at present. I need to reduce my stash, ok I am/was blessed with plenty of space the stash grew to 3-4 tonnes of native wood or timber as we call it down here. So I put out a few feelers via a major Oz forum that has a large Internet traffic to give away 2-300kgs or more of blanks, very little response how curious

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When I get wood I call all the local clubs and tell them to come and get. About 3 guys do. Most will not make the effort. They will take the wood if I cut it and bring it to club meetings.

Pretty much the same for me. I have gotten some very nice Claro Walnut trees. Send an email out to the club and tell them to come by. I think, at most I ever had come was 4.
They would like it if it were cut into bowl blanks better. Half the time that is what they wanted me to do.....cut them blanks. Wait.....they had to drive about 25 miles from home and I would load it for them. Still very few takers.

Pretty much the same for me. I have gotten some very nice Claro Walnut trees. Send an email out to the club and tell them to come by. I think, at most I ever had come was 4.
They would like it if it were cut into bowl blanks better. Half the time that is what they wanted me to do.....cut them blanks. Wait.....they had to drive about 25 miles from home and I would load it for them. Still very few takers.
ever feel like vacationing in wonderful central Illinois?? Bring some with you! lol I could trade you some black walnut. (that doesn't seem worthwhile does it)

Last edited:
I'm not far and would love some Claro Walnut.....:)

A customer (50 some employees) works primarily with exotic and figured woods and has a lot of cutoffs and scraps. He used to give these away until he realized how much it was costing him. Typically people would come for the wood saying they'd take it all, realistically it was more like only a grocery bag full. They had to be supervised while they picked through the scrap trailer. It was just too much hassle and time dealing with the people so now he takes the loaded trailer to a local incinerator where it's burned.

Same with my business, not worth the effort trying to do people a favor by giving away metal and plastic remnants. One of the worst issues with giving away the stuff is they acted like they were doing me a big favor.

I also find it strange that I've contacted 5 or so mills in my area that have listed wood for sale and have gotten no response back or they weren't there at the agreed upon time.

I’d be thrilled to have the chance to come and pick up free wood. You’d never get the grin off my face. I’m in Orange, CA . . .
drop by Alan any time you wont be disappointed :)

Website
www.instagram.com
When I was first starting my woodturning journey, a member of our local club said he had just cut down some old walnut and cherry trees on his property and offered free pieces to anyone who wanted to come over. I jumped at the offer, showing up at his house early the next day. I brought my chain saw, fully prepared to do my own cutting but he said he'd be glad to do it himself and proceeded to fire up his much bigger Stihl, wielding it like an experienced woodturning pro. He was extremely fit and, after cutting several big pieces, helped horse them into my car. It was only then that he revealed his age. He was 92 and had recently won the national tennis championship for his age group. Wow! What a gentleman and what an inspiration.

Back