• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gift for a Kapa Lele

The paper mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera, syn. Morus papyrifera L., Paperbark Mulberry) is a species of flowering plant in the family Moraceae. While in Hawaii we met a ‘Kapa lele’, an artist using traditional methods to create paper by carefully pounding (kapa) the bark of a young paper mulberry tree (wauke). I understand this is common to other areas, and known by other names, such as the paper made in this manner in Samoa.

I have a bowl in my collection made out of B. papyrifera by a friend and fellow woodturner in Los Angeles.
I shared the picture with the Kapa lele and she was excited to see such a large piece of paper mulberry, as most of those trees of that species in her area are harvested before they grow large enough to turn a good-sized bowl.

I am looking for a B. papyrifera blank so I can gift her a bowl. Does anyone here have access to any?

Thanks!

You might want to take-up segmenting, which is something that can be done with fairly small trees, but is not an instant operation.
The pictures below show part of the process of preparing the material using buckthorn that was about 4-5" diameter.
DSC01504.JPG
The green lumber after being cut into 3/4" thick boards, stacked with stickers and left to dry for about 1 1/2 years.
DSC01524.JPG
The boards after being ripped to size, flattened on the jointer and sized th finish thickness on the drum sander.
20013Urn.JPG
This is a burial urn made from buckthorn segmented rings.

Back