• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly G1036 sharpening grinder

Any one here own or have used the Grizzly model G1036 slow speed/high speed grinder for sharpening turning tools?? Thanks in advance, Charles

I can't speak for the 1036 Grizzly, but in looking at it on their website and reading the spec, I would recommend against it. I had a similar grinder (the slow-speed wheel was horizontal instead of vertical). The motor is pretty small, the "tool rest" is stamped from light gauge steel.

Instead, buy a new or used name-brand 8-inch slow-speed grinder (you can get great deals on E-bay) and slap on some good grinding wheels. Baldor grinders are awesome, but expensive. Craftsmen, Delta and Jet would be good choices. But FOR SURE do not buy one mail-order unless you are willing to send it back. I've purchased 3 grinders via mail-order and all of them vibrated so horribly that they were worthless. The shaft run-out was appallingly bad so no amount of wheel dressing or balancing would fix them. The suppliers all took them back, but what a hassle. If you buy at a retail shop, you can make sure it runs smooth before you leave the store.

Also worth noting is that, except for Tormek's proprietary jigs, all the after-market grinding jigs are designed for vertical grinders.

BH

Ditto from me. You can get inexpensive grinders from Home Despot, Sears, pretty much anywhere. Start at around $50-60. Just make sure it turns smooth and return it if it don't. You can also hit the local yard sales and will find old grinders that work perfectly well and are inexpensive.

I'd advise against getting anything with a horizontal wheel. You'll have a hard time setting up a working jig for it, which you will want once you get into interesting grinds.

I broke down and got the $49.95 special at Home Despot. Had to get a white wheel and mount it on risers when I got my Wolverine jig (only a 6" grinder) but works just fine. Next comes a thicker wheel, then a new grinder.

The Vortex wins in the end every time.

Dietrich

Back