• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to make custom PVC fittings on your Lathe

I wanted to place my noisy shop vac in another room, so I made a thru-the-wall adapter.

Requirements:
Heat gun.
Slow speed lathe
Cone revolving center

Turn a slightly tapered cylinder to the inner diameter that will fit your hose.

And watch:

View: https://youtu.be/kijxdluULgQ
Great Idea and timely I'm in the process of redoing my dust collection system
Thanks,
Pat

SINCE BY NOW NO ONE HAVE SAID THAT THIS IS A GREAT IDEA, LET ME TELL YOU - THIS IS ONE SIMPLE ELEGANTLY EXECUTED GREAT IDEA!!!
Amazing job, Dennis!

Take care and stay safe.
Pajo
What Pajo said. Dust collection/shop vac fittings are a great mystery. I've seen similar suggestions to Dennis', but his brings a flexibility that is adaptable. Seems like it might even work to reduce a size a wee bit. Thanks!!
earl

Perfect !! Now I know what and how to do it. I tried before but didn't have a lathe to make the anvil rotate.
Thanks for sharing Dennis. Take care. -Mike

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Now thats a good idea for those in the electrical trades it will be very familiar
I have been an electrician for 45 years and never needed to do that. I have bent a lot of plastic conduit though. You can bend 1/2” and 3/4” without heat and 1” and larger with heat.

I wanted to place my noisy shop vac in another room, so I made a thru-the-wall adapter.

Requirements:
Heat gun.
Slow speed lathe
Cone revolving center

Turn a slightly tapered cylinder to the inner diameter that will fit your hose.

And watch:

View: https://youtu.be/kijxdluULgQ
Awesome idea, where did you get the big cone on the tailstock? Suppose one could be made out of wood.

Back