• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I Think She's Got It!

Periodically I have made these monstrosities that Darrell Feltmate of www.aroundthewoods.com calls "angel wings." I suppose he ought to know, being a preacher, but when I turn them it doesn't take me long to remember that Satan started out as an angel, too.

They can be a devil to turn, especially when they're wet and floppy, but they have a neat but useless look to them. That is, until last night, when SWMBO was showing me what she had purchased for the baby shower decorations. I bent the stem and stuffed one spray of flowers in a vase awaiting final sanding to see if I had left enough weight in the base, with the result in the first picture. Then for reasons unknown, I set them down on the wings, currently sanded to 220 and went for another vase. "What a gorgeous centerpiece that would make" said the better half. It was a cartoon-style double-take, but y'know, she's right. I think I will finish this for the November show and put some of the silk flowers in it to let people know it's not entirely useless.

Cherry, green two weeks ago, presently dry as a bone and ready for sanding.

Attachments

• OK-Bouquet.jpg
    OK-Bouquet.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Centerpiece-Bowl.jpg
    Centerpiece-Bowl.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 298
Back