• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Japanese Wood Turning

The 90 degree tools are interesting. And the tool rest. ;-)

Sam, a bunch of it is sketchy by our standards. But these are production vessels and obviously they've been doing it a long time. I was most nervous when grandma was using the radial arm saw.

My brother is a trained machinist. He gets twitchy when he sees me holding a tool in my hands when working on a lathe. I've offered to let him try -- he wants no part of it. "It just ain't right"

The 90 degree tools are interesting. And the tool rest. ;-)

Sam, a bunch of it is sketchy by our standards. But these are production vessels and obviously they've been doing it a long time. I was most nervous when grandma was using the radial arm saw.
Nervous, yes, especially when she turned her head away from the blade to avoid the chips coming from the blade. Then I noticed the chip guard dangling down.

Well, some of their prep work is high sphincter pucker factor stuff for sure.... Interesting that they don't put any finish on the inside of the box. I would guess the finish is lacquer of some sort, which is traditional over there. It almost looks like the same stuff they put on before finish cuts. I am wondering if they ever have wood movement problems. Also wonder if the tenon is spot on parallel, or like Eric Lofstrom does on his boxes where it has a slight taper.

robo hippy

Very relaxing once they were done with the saw work. I wonder what that disc tool they used to remove the bulk of the wood looked like when stopped. It peeled wood off in ribbons.
Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed watching it.

Good question, I was wondering this myself. It looks a bit dark for sanding sealer though? He was using a brush, maybe from an open pot so could it have been some type of oil?

I've oiled punky pieces before final turning to try to reduce tearout. Could be for a smoother finish or less sanding.

tools hanging far over tool rest, turning and cutting in reverse sometimes, no filtration or dust extraction, hands far beyond tool rest—an OSHA nightmare. And when making inner top handle, he cut on both left and right side as lathe was turning counter clockwise—crazy—but it worked.

Someone with better eyes than mine, please look at 13:10 - 13:15 time frame and tell me if the turner presents the tool to the wood on both sides of center?

Someone with better eyes than mine, please look at 13:10 - 13:15 time frame and tell me if the turner presents the tool to the wood on both sides of center?
I ran the video at 25% speed and there’s a “knock” sound and the camera angle changes. I think this is the point when he changes the direction of rotation? They use wide overhead belts and changing direction is just a matter of switching between belts, no need to stop the lathe.

That's the one that scared me. That is literally a giant meat slicer.
The rotation of the lathe seems to be achieved almost instantaneously. So yes, they were working in both directions, depending. That tool is really cool.

Back