• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet dust collector died

2023 wasn't a good year turning wise for me. Except for christmas ornament, pens, bottle stoppers for Xmas I haven't turned anything else since March. Been busy but not at the lathe! Was all set to get back to turning yesterday his morning and my dust collection system died. I have a Jet JCDC1.5 that trips the breaker as soon as I flip it on. Appears that there's a short in the winding somewhere. Unit is one year past a 5 year warranty and it's almost $800 to replace. Ouch! but what are ya gonna do? Jet had exactly one in stock so I hope to get back at it next year (January).

It might be a short in the windings, but the few motor failures I've seen are open circuits. I'd troubleshoot the switch and wiring first, then check the motor. If it is the motor, it could probably be replaced with about any brand, more cheaply than from Jet/Powermatic. When my Powermatic 4224 motor broke, (armature snapped) I picked up a used 3hp Baldor for about $130 on eBay.

Check the starting centrifugal switch. You can probably get a complete motor at Harbor Freight for a couple hundred dollars if you don't want to fix your motor.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Might also go simpler and not even find a motor problem - Check the DC impeller and shaft and make sure it spins freely - Could have gotten a mouse building a nest in it as long as it has sat idle, for example. Surprisingly little debris is needed to jam up the impeller in housing, which when motor won't spin up, often trips breaker.

Thanks for the thoughts. Bypassed all the remote control circuity and connect power directly to the motor. The replace the starting capacitor. still a problem. consulted with Jet. considered HF briefly but the way the motor is mounted and bolted down is a problem. My shop isn't big so having basically has it shut down until replaced. $755 incld. shipping. at leased they had one. Hopefully I'll be back up and running in 7-10 days.

Well, only thing I know about electrical work is to hire a professional. No sparks for me. I would think you could pull the motor and take it to an electrical repair shop. Had a bearing problem with my 3520A, and got the parts locally and including the labor, it was cheaper than buying the parts from PM. One of our club members was lamenting about his Jet DC last night and how he has 4 remotes for it and none of them work.

robo hippy

Well, only thing I know about electrical work is to hire a professional. No sparks for me. I would think you could pull the motor and take it to an electrical repair shop. Had a bearing problem with my 3520A, and got the parts locally and including the labor, it was cheaper than buying the parts from PM. One of our club members was lamenting about his Jet DC last night and how he has 4 remotes for it and none of them work.

robo hippy
Although I did have a guy in town 7-8 years ago repaired a sprinkler pump motor I had, but there is no one I can find anywhere who repairs anything below 6 or 7hp motors.. besides that I'm impatient. I can't be closed down for a month, I wanna get back to turning!

Back