• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kelton Hollowing System

Does anyone here own or has used a Kelton Hollowing Rig and if so what has been your experience with it. I would appreciate any information I can get. Thanks

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I have had the system for about a year now and really like it. Even though I am a sharpening moron I have no trouble keeping a good edge on the cutters. I did have a little problem initially with the instructions for assembly. There were extra pieces whose function was not addressed plus the language clarity left a little to be desired. Part of this may have been my fault. I never had seen the system so I had nothing to rely upon except directions.

I do not use a handle with the whole rig. If you keep a little lubricant on the bar, the action is nice and smooth.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I use their bits -have two of the three and use then often, I don't use their captive system though.

If you want to come up to the Dallas area, I can show you around them.

Last edited:
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Same as Steve,

I use the hollowing tools but not the captive system. They work great and I am very pleased with them. If Steve is relatively near (you both live in Texas....relatively near is a pretty loose term for you folks!!! <Grin>) take the time to run up and see him. Having someone get you past the useage descriptions with a little "one on one" will save you a few catches.

An old Maine farmer and a Texas Rancher were sitting in a bar one night talking about their places. The Texan complained how he could get in his car at sunup and start driving around the edge of his ranch and would still not have gotten home by supper. The old Mainer nodded and said "Aya! I got me a old truck like that too!"

Dave

Just Bought One

I just bought a rig today with no instructions, and I also seem to have a number of parts that do not appear in any picture of the rig. Did you ever figure out what the plate with the slot and hole was for??

There were extra pieces whose function was not addressed plus the language clarity left a little to be desired.

It works though I also have a Oneway system which I prefer. As suggested, If you can spend some time with someone who has learned to use the system, that would be worthwhile. It does have a learning curve and the instructions really don't cover it's use too well.

Malcolm Smith

I use the Kelton hollowing rig and have been extremely satisified with the system. I initially chose it over the jamieson type and other systems because my shop lacks wall space to hang things like D-Bars, Y-bars or whatever. Without the laser guide, the Kelton rig stores very compactly on a shelf. Now that I've added the laser it's not as compact, but I'm still very happy with my choice. The laser on the Kelton rig does not vibrate anywhere near as much as the laser on other systems that use a single vertical rod to support the laser assembly.

I found the laser a little fussy to adjust at first. Tightening the screws would cause the laser to move, changing the setting. I found through trial and error that tigtening the four screws in a very specific order allows me to set the laser with no more fussing.

I find that I can hollow to 8" very aggressively with no problems. I can hollow up to 12" with the area from 8" to 12" requiring a very light touch that took me a while to develop. Anything over 12" is beyond my abilities with the 3/4" cutters.

Once I got my rig setup just right, I cut 3 lengths of pvc pipe to use as spacers. One goes over the tool rest post and the other two go over the uprights on the rig. The whole system can be assembled and cutting in just a couple of minutes. I don't have to leave it assembled to preserve the setup when I'm not using it.

I use a good quality diamond hone (the type Alan Lacer sells/uses) to sharpen the cutters. A couple quick swipes is all it takes to sharpen.

In my experience, Kel McNaughton stands behind his tools 100% and is a heck of a nice guy. He's in New Zealand. When I first got the system I had a few questions and emailed him. He tracked down my phone number and gave me a call from New Zealand to anwer my questions. I was shocked to say the least. As pointed out above, he is also very responsive on email.

Ed

I don't do that many hollow forms, but do have the McNaughton. A friend let me use his, and I found that I could be pretty agressive with it. I did make a D handle that would take the bars. I just got one of the Monster systems, and have the adapters that will allow me to use just about any bar in it. I really like the smooth action of the articulates system, especially when compared to the D handles and hand held.
robo hippy

I did email the company, and lo and behold, he not only replied, but called me. When I described the parts to him he told me that the smaller version of the rig, which isn't readily available, comes with an extension plate that makes the rig usable on shortbed mini-lathes. Due to random luck I not only tripped over one, but bought it at a bargain price.

This version of the rig takes the smaller diameter tools (which suits me fine) and will only cover a 16 inch lathe - I have a jet 1642. Actually, all you need is some pipe or sturdy tubing of the right diameter and you can it up to the standard's 24.

Once I get some promised work out of the way I'm going to grab me a hunk of wood and hollow up a storm!!

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I just bought a rig today with no instructions, and I also seem to have a number of parts that do not appear in any picture of the rig. Did you ever figure out what the plate with the slot and hole was for??

There were extra pieces whose function was not addressed plus the language clarity left a little to be desired.

Marc, I am so sorry not have responded to this. I never saw it. :eek:

Back