• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kiln drying time

I have found a local place that offers kiln drying of your wood. I was thinking about having several bowl blanks dried, they are about 10"x10"x5" black walnut and some cherry. Any ideas as to how long this might take?
Also wondering if there is an acceptable way of quickly drying these myself?
Thanks,
Martin

Show the kiln company. They will be able to answer your questions. You might make a friend and find a wood source.

What is the moisture level now? 5" wet cherry will come out of conventional kiln as a piece of firewood. The only way to kiln dry 5" lumber quickly is by using a vacuum kiln. I'm kiln drying that thick of timber right now, but I cut it in 2010.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Also wondering if there is an acceptable way of quickly drying these myself?

You can rough turn the bowl 10” diameter with 1” thick wall. Day 1
The dry it in the microwave. You have to watch the bowl and do multiple cycles Day 2
Then finish turn day 3

Here are several microwave methods.

You might be interested in looking at this thread on working with green wood.
It’s from a demo I did where I rough turn a bowl from green wood and finish turn a dry warped bowl.

Last edited:
Standard kilns do not do well with any wood over about 8/4 or 2 inch thick. Difficult to get equilibrium, which leads to cracks. Far easier to rough turn, seal, and dry on a shelf. A vacuum kiln will work better. Also, different woods dry at different rates, so if the kiln is running one kind of wood and yours is different, then results are not guaranteed.

robo hippy

Back