• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna Revo 15/24 off axis manufacturing problem

I am curious if anyone else has had a problem with the Laguna lathe where it appears to be off axis. This makes it very difficult to turn small spindles and makes the outer edge of a bowl uneven with thick and thin portions.
If you have experienced this with the Laguna lathe or any other lathe? How did you fix it?

Last edited:
the laguna is quite proud of how the LIVE Center is adjustable. this is where four screws can be loosened to align the two points, the spur center and the live center. Unfortunately in my case the spur center does NOT turn on axis, rather it rotates slightly. It gets progressively worse the further from the headstock. As an example if I tried to turn a 3/8" dowel by the time I get to 9" away the dowel is vibrating so badly that turning a spindle top would be impossible. Even when I try to use a parting tool the wood grabs the tool because it is wobbling. One would expect the closer you get to parting off the wood would be smoother, not irregular

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
the laguna is quite proud of how the LIVE Center is adjustable. this is where four screws can be loosened to align the two points, the spur center and the live center. Unfortunately in my case the spur center does NOT turn on axis, rather it rotates slightly. It gets progressively worse the further from the headstock. As an example if I tried to turn a 3/8" dowel by the time I get to 9" away the dowel is vibrating so badly that turning a spindle top would be impossible. Even when I try to use a parting tool the wood grabs the tool because it is wobbling. One would expect the closer you get to parting off the wood would be smoother, not irregular
I have the exact same problem with my Harbor Freight Lathe.. Finally (after some waiting for a magnetic base and dial indicator) figured out it was not bearing runout, but the spindle itself was slightly bent (just .0003" but even that , like with a gun, translates to considerable runout the further out you get) I can live with it but it makes it hard to do precision work (though I've found with care I can compensate somewhat) but the only fix for me , is going to be a new lathe (and this will be relegated to turning it into a drum sander most likely...)

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Does your spindle run true? Any problems turning a small piece with a chuck or screw chuck without the tailstock?
1). Use a different center (or turn one) in the headstock ... does it run true?
2) Maybe more important - check your lathe bed for level in both directions and in several places. A digital level is very helpful for this (10ths of a degree). You're looking to see if your bed is slightly twisted (more important than level) which will cause alignment to get worse as you move your tailstock away from the headstock.

Last edited:
Back