• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maintenance of grinder platforms.....

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
No matter what kind of wheels you're using, they all have one thing in common. They remove very hot bits of metal in the form of sparks. These very hot particles tend to stick to the surface of the platform and interfere with the grinding of your scrapers. Because of this, it prevents a nice smooth motion throughout the length of the edge, as your scrapers slide across the platform.

When this happens, I take some steel wool and scrub the surface of the platform. As I type, I don't recall the grade of the steel wool I keep on hand to do this, but it's a coarse grade. I find that this needs to be done every few days, or so.

Just curious..... What are you using to prepare your grinder platforms, so the turning tools slide smoothly?????

-o-

odie

TOTW Team
Hmmmm.....very interesting!

Well, if this is something I'm experiencing, and nobody else is.....then there is a reason for it.

Since, obviously, others are creating sparks when they grind their tools, then that element is the same for all of us.......right?

Since I saw these responses from GL and RC yesterday, I've been pondering over the possibilities. One thing is certain, and that's I can only see things from my perspective, and nobody else's. This is one of the reasons why I remain connected to this forum, and it's membership. My interactions here, have given me an insight into the turning techniques and minds of many other turners......and, that is something I've found to be an important aspect of my own turning journey.

It did occur to me that, I've evolved as a turner much differently than many other turners, and there is one thing I'm doing which I suspect is the cause of this. That's that I'm using a very light touch to my grinding scrapers, combined with a very slow sweep across the entire cutting edge. This process does require a very easy sliding surface between the scraper, and the Wolverine platform. This evolvement in my technique, is the result of my notion that this method is creating a superior ground bur, than if I pressed harder, as I suspect most other turners are doing....this may be the overall difference.

-o-

I have a couple questions on this. How close to the wheel is your platform? What type of wheels are you using? I have seen this buildup below the platform when using regular grind wheels and the platform is about 1/16" to 1/8" from the wheel when grinding regular steel. You obviously aren't grinding regular steel. I've not noticed this with cbn wheels, the powder from sharpening is on the area below the platform and can be swept away with a brush. I keep my platform on the cbn wheel about 1/16" from the wheel.

A long time ago, profiling a new heavy scraper on my Wolverine platform, I found in short order it was becoming magnetized. I bought some adhesive plastic slick tape (HMWP or whatever that plastic is called, you know, it on saw fences, plastic cutting board and the such bouhht at Woodcraft) and applied it to the platform surface. Problem solved. Sparks do beat it up after a while, but it's replaceable.

odie

TOTW Team
I haven’t had anything stick to the platform.

Have you possibly magnetized the platform?

That is an interesting thought, Al.....and, since the particles are attached to the platform, and can't be simply brushed away, I suspect this is not the answer here. The build-up of these particles is a slow process, and takes awhile to come to the point where they interfere with my grinding of scrapers. Then the #1 grade of steel wool comes out......only takes a second to do this, but the particles do appear to be stuck to the surface of the platform, requiring the steel wool to restore the good sliding surface.

I'm writing myself a note to check on this, when I go back out to the shop later on today, though.

Thanks for this input.

-o-

odie

TOTW Team
I have a couple questions on this. How close to the wheel is your platform? What type of wheels are you using? I have seen this buildup below the platform when using regular grind wheels and the platform is about 1/16" to 1/8" from the wheel when grinding regular steel. You obviously aren't grinding regular steel. I've not noticed this with cbn wheels, the powder from sharpening is on the area below the platform and can be swept away with a brush. I keep my platform on the cbn wheel about 1/16" from the wheel.

Hi Vincent.....

Our distances between the platform and the grinding wheel are very close to the same.

I'm using a Norton 80gt SG wheel. This is the original wheel that Norton produced, and not the same as what is available now. I suppose it's possible that since I'm using a frangible wheel, this aspect could be a part of this discussion. I'm not saying it's a problem, it's not.....but it is something that requires some periodic maintenance.....which is very easy to do.

Those particles below the platform do tend to build up like a stalagmite, and also have to be removed periodically. Most of the particles inside the wheel housing can be removed with a quick blast of air there.....but, the "stalagmite" needs to be physically removed.

Now, the question is......does this sticking of particles on the platform happen to others who are using a frangible wheel for their grinding of scrapers?

-o-

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
I have never had this problem either, using CBN grinding wheels. When I read this I wondered if it has anything to do with using friable grinding wheels.

Hello James.......I'm beginning to think the fact that I'm using frangible wheels.....it's a contributing factor.

Note: I don't consider this a "problem", though......it's just that it does require some maintenance to keep it from being a problem. :)

-o-

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Now, the question is......does this sticking of particles on the platform happen to others who are using a frangible wheel for their grinding of scrapers?

-o-
If you want a theory: It isn't the spark particles that are sticking so much as it is the fine powdery bits of the wheel (and the adhesive that holds the wheel together!) that are sticking to the platform. Like others, I run a CBN wheel on one side of my grinder, and have an AlOx wheel on the other - I never really considered it in this light before, but now I think of it, It does seem like the grinding dust from the CBN wheel just sits in a "sandpile" while the grinding dust from the AlOx wheel ends up forming "stalagmites" ... So now thinking of that, I'd have to wonder if the difference is due to the composition of the grinding wheel and the binder agent that holds the wheel grit all together?

odie

TOTW Team
If you want a theory: It isn't the spark particles that are sticking so much as it is the fine powdery bits of the wheel (and the adhesive that holds the wheel together!) that are sticking to the platform. Like others, I run a CBN wheel on one side of my grinder, and have an AlOx wheel on the other - I never really considered it in this light before, but now I think of it, It does seem like the grinding dust from the CBN wheel just sits in a "sandpile" while the grinding dust from the AlOx wheel ends up forming "stalagmites" ... So now thinking of that, I'd have to wonder if the difference is due to the composition of the grinding wheel and the binder agent that holds the wheel grit all together?

Thanks for responding, Brian....

Yes, this could very well be the answer to the question of why this seems to be something I experience, and not with others who are using cbn wheels.

I must stress that this is not problematic, because it's easy to resolve with attention to it, and a little periodic maintenance.

-o-

I don't remember ever having anything stick to my platforms, which includes a Wolverine one that I set at a dedicated angle for regrinding some old hand plane blades. Some occasional metal dust, but nothing else. I quit using the friable wheels many years ago. First CBN wheel I had was resin bonded to an aluminum hub, which was a couple of years before the nickel plating wheels were available.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
I haven’t had anything stick to the platform.

Have you possibly magnetized the platform?

Al....

Checked for magnetized platform last evening, and it showed none.

I do, however, experience magnetized turning tools and other items in the shop from time to time. This is easily solved with the use of a tape demagnetizer. (see photo)

As for the particles sticking to my Wolverine platform, I'm leaning toward my use of the original Norton SG 80gt grinding wheels to be the source of this.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and offering their thoughts.

-o-

20240105_203342.jpg

Back