• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Moffatt light switch

Any of you that have Moffatt lights on their lathe.......have you ever had the switch go bad?
Did you fix it? Was there a special switch that fits?
I purchased my set up for my Oneway lathe many years ago from someone in Texas......the fellow who designed them. I love the setup.......but, my switches have gone bad. I clean them with compressed air and that usually works. Not so now.
Thanks for the help.

Any of you that have Moffatt lights on their lathe.......have you ever had the switch go bad?
Did you fix it? Was there a special switch that fits?
I purchased my set up for my Oneway lathe many years ago from someone in Texas......the fellow who designed them. I love the setup.......but, my switches have gone bad. I clean them with compressed air and that usually works. Not so now.
Thanks for the help.
I needed something from Moffatt and reached out to them directly. They are a USA Company and I had good luck with their customer service.

Mine has been going strong for longer than I want to admit. I do have to blow out the switch periodically - from both sides. That’s never failed to resurrect it so far.

Hugh, I had the same problems with mine. I loved the setup so much, that I removed the original moffets and replaced them first with other gooseneck lighting. Today, I use a 6000 Lumens LED array. Much more light without the heat. Gary Sander's light stand is the heart of the 2436 lighting system, I couldn't live without it!

Gary Sander's......that is the name I had lost in my head. Nice guy. When I purchased the setup, I asked him how much to send. He said he would put a bill in with the lighting system and for me to just pay it when it came. Over the phone he did not know how much postage to add. He said something like "Woodturners are good people. I have never had any of them not pay."

I think I will contact Moffatt lights and see what they say. When I Google the switch, I end up with too many choices and I have no idea which fits what I have.
Thanks

I had several of them. They all pretty much developed 'switch' problems. Probably dust and I should probably blow them out. I switched to the LED lights from Woodturner's Wonders and never had any problems with them. At least not yet. I did find the old Moffat lamps a bit short on the stem, and prefer the LEDs as being better able to get the light directed where I want it.

robo hippy

Back