• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Axminster Chuck

As some of you may be aware, Axminster Chucks are made from Stainless Steel. Whilst this makes them tough and rust resistant it does mean they come at a premium price. Axminster Tools have now decided to manufacture a budget 88mm diameter chuck from mild steel to keep the cost down. They also have suitable top jaws to go with it.

It appears Axminster has dropped their small SK80 stainless steel chuck. It is not listed on the Axminster site, but says to check availability on the Woodturning Store site. Not sue about jaw compatibility at this time. Many of the jaws fit both the SK80 and SK100. Looking at the Axminster seems SK88 jaws doesn’t appear they are compatible with the SK100. The jaw slide description for the SK88 indicates they are specific to the SK88 chuck.

Sadly Axminster aren’t always very consistent with their information. I bought some SK80 gripper jaws from them some years ago at their factory in Axminster, but not before confirming beforehand that they would fit my SK100 chuck as well, which they do. I saw it mentioned several times after that, that the jaws I bought only fit the SK80! They are really good jaws and my favourite.

@Bill Alston I believe the SK80 and SK100 use the same jaws slides, not real sure. If so I can’t see a problem using SK80 jaws on a larger chuck. The jaw slides listed for the SKK88 say they are specific for that chuck. Leads me to believe they are different from the SK100 slides and won’t fit the SKK100.

The profile and hole spacing of the chuck jaws seems to be common across the SK80, SK100 and SK114. The chuck jaws for the 114 are longer though.
As you say, the text implies that the new SK88 jaws are somehow different. Looking at the images though it’s hard to see what that might be. They look very similar but the pictures have been taken at a very slightly different angle? The SK88 chuck jaws appear they might be slimmer but that in itself would not stop any top jaws from the existing range fitting them?
We’ll soon find out when something buys some of the new top jaws to fit one of the older chucks.
IMG_8978.jpeg

IMG_8983.jpeg

Back