• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway 1224, lowest RPM and cabinet vibrations

2 questions. I'm considering purchasing a Oneway 1224...

1- Lowest RPM is not necessarily a priority (more of a curiosity than a hard requirement), but the claim of 50-2000 and 100-4000 rpm (Oneway's site), are those low numbers accurate? The closest I could find researching was an 8-year-old youtube video where the owner clocked 90rpm as the lowest. He also clocked over 4000rpm in the same clip, so he was on the high speed pulleys. It seems his machine should then run 45rpm on the slow pulleys. Has anyone else reliably clocked the rpm of this lathe?
View: https://youtu.be/jMnLcfAtrns?si=Qz2wO5z-X1rMJqIL

2- The heavy sheet metal stand, does anyone notice vibration noise coming from those large pieces of sheet metal? If so, I think I could quell them easy enough. Again, more of a curiosity.

Thanks,
Steve.

I have done a couple of demos on one of those, and the club that had it sold it and got a Jet 16 inch lathe. When turning bowls on it, it felt under powered for a 1 hp motor. Not sure if I was turning on high speed range or low speed range. I do need the lower speeds, like 10 to 15 rpm for sanding my warped bowls.

robo hippy

Our club, Carolina Mountain Woodturners, has 11 of these 12-inch OneWays in our Turning Learning Center. I have turned on a few of them. I don't recall any excess vibration, though of course it would struggle with bigger, heavier blanks. From my experience, it is probably the sturdiest lathe I have turned on in the 12-inch/MIDI class. They are very impressive machines for their size-it is a OneWay, after all. I don't know about minimum and maximum rpms, as its hard to tell without a digital readout.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I do need the lower speeds, like 10 to 15 rpm for sanding my warped bowls.
Howdy robo..... :)

When I first viewed this thread, I was asking myself why would a turner want a speed slower than 100rpm. Your post explaining why you need to go as slow as 10rpm explains that, and anyone who has had warped bowls can easily understand why very slow speeds are necessary for this.

-o-

Thanks for your replies. This afternoon I called up to Canada and got myself in line to build a 1224. 220v, 24" bed extension, and the RFI filter for the drive. (I've installed them on my three DC driven Vicmarcs in the past, and yes, radio interference from the drives was a problem without them, even my neighbors got interference from me.)

It will be joining my one remaining lathe, a 1.5hp DC Vicmarc VL200 shortbed. Once the 1224 arrives, after some time I'll decide if I want to keep both or move the Vicmarc down the road. They will complement each other nicely, though.

I did plenty of shadetree engineering work in my mind, and even conversed with Vicmarc about a bed extension for the VL200. No-go on both fronts. Plan B, buy a long bed lathe. Went to Canada because I didn't want the overseas alternatives. I'll admit Record Power (around half the price) had a firm grip on my attention until I confirmed country of origin.

Ironic- a few years ago I sold off my VL300 shortbed with 36" extension, I just wasn't using it for longer work and I used the VL200 more often. And now I bought another lathe that can handle longer work. Figures.

Oh, 4-6 months (yes, months) lead time direct from Oneway right now. Some retailers may have unsold inventory in line ahead of me, but I wanted to skip the middleman.

Steve.

Odie, I have heard of some turners who use the very slow speeds for applying finish. Mostly the thick stuff that you want to flow and not settle into puddles. The really slow speeds come in very handy to keep my warped bowls spinning while I sand. With the articulated arm I made for sanding, there is a video, generally the first grit or three I spin the bowl by hand, which is easy because the arm holds my sander arm and all I have to do is squeeze the trigger.

robo hippy

Back