• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway 2436 Motor Noise

2436 Back In Business

My 2436 is back up and running!!! I got the new controller from Oneway on Monday afternoon. The install was not too tough but not real easy, either. The toughest part was lying on the floor under the lathe while doing the work. The new controller is a newer model and the wiring is a bit different than the old one, but Oneway prewired it with a short piece of each of the wires so I could check the color codes and swap the "sample" pieces of wire for the real thing. They also prewired and programmed the unit for the new Remote On/Off that I ordered at the same time.

I was disappointed to find the Remote came with only 6 feet of wire. My lathe has a 17" extension on both ends, so I swapped the short wire for a 14 foot piece and it is much better now.

The lathe is running better than before, so the old controller must have been on the way out for some time.

I took some pictures of the old and new controllers and I will post them when I get a chance to upload to the computer.

Dale

Website
www.BillLuce.com
My 2436 is back up and running!!! I got the new controller from Oneway on Monday afternoon. The install was not too tough but not real easy, either. The toughest part was lying on the floor under the lathe while doing the work. The new controller is a newer model and the wiring is a bit different than the old one, but Oneway prewired it with a short piece of each of the wires so I could check the color codes and swap the "sample" pieces of wire for the real thing. They also prewired and programmed the unit for the new Remote On/Off that I ordered at the same time.

I was disappointed to find the Remote came with only 6 feet of wire. My lathe has a 17" extension on both ends, so I swapped the short wire for a 14 foot piece and it is much better now.

The lathe is running better than before, so the old controller must have been on the way out for some time.

I took some pictures of the old and new controllers and I will post them when I get a chance to upload to the computer.

Dale

Dale, I am really glad it all worked out so well. I look forward to some pics, including seeing which model the old and new controllers are. Interesting stuff.

I agree the remotes wires are shorter than ideal, esp with the inboard extension.

I, too, would like to see the "old vs. new". I am curious as to if your faulty drive is from the same maker (Yasagawa sp?) as mine. My drive appears to be the noisy culprit.
thanks
--pat

Pat,

Check the cooling fan on the back of your drive. Yes my first drive was a Yasagawa GPD315 V7 and the new one is a Yasagawa J1000.

Dale

Thanks Dale- I'll check the fan but the noise actually emanates from the motor but appears to be caused by the drive- two different motors same noise. How old was the drive when it started acting up?
--pat

Thanks Dale- I'll check the fan but the noise actually emanates from the motor but appears to be caused by the drive- two different motors same noise. How old was the drive when it started acting up?
--pat

5 years old but not a a lot of use and the drive should last for many years.

Dale

agreed- mine also about the same age but likely less than 10 hours when I bought it. If my drive is the same model as the one you replaced it gives me cause to think there may be a bad batch-- Kevin Clay at Oneway mentioned that the J1000 was the drive they currently were using but didn't offer any reason for replacing. I might ask....
thanks
--pat

Website
www.BillLuce.com
5 years old but not a a lot of use and the drive should last for many years.

Dale

Dale,

Tell us more details about the switch!

Was it the complete plastic box inside the panel that was switched?

Was it pretty much just swapping boxes using the same mounting holes and switching maybe half a dozen or so connectors?

Any other tips?

Bill,

The install was not too tough. The new unit is the same dimensions as the old one and the mounting is the same.

Here are some pics: New Unit with manual and sample wiring installed, the old unit and the new unit with a close up of the wiring in place after being installed.

Dale

Attachments

• NewcontWeb.jpg
    NewcontWeb.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 59
  • OldcontWeb.jpg
    OldcontWeb.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 52
  • NewWired.jpg
    NewWired.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 55
Website
www.BillLuce.com
Bill,

The install was not too tough. The new unit is the same dimensions as the old one and the mounting is the same.

Here are some pics: New Unit with manual and sample wiring installed, the old unit and the new unit with a close up of the wiring in place after being installed.

Dale

Thanks! I am glad it solved your problems as the next step would have been a tough one to figure.

Back