• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

OneWay Stronghold & Talon VS Nova Super Nova2 or Infinity or...???

have one stronghold.....all I need.....take your jaws off at end of turning session and you will only need one chuck

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Jeeeez, that kind of speed will help you along to "repetitive motion injuries." :eek: Remove 8 screws-remove jaws-new jaws on-8 screws in. Tick-tock!

Yep, dredged up an old one here, bookmarking it for future reference, good info here!

I am guessing that you did a search on repetitive motion injuries. :rolleyes:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Nah, on "nova infinity" -- to see what folks thought of those quick-change jaws. Got my PhD in RMIs back in the 1980's and '90's.

Bill Rubenstein, the Stubby lathe support person, showed me a trick that he uses for Stronghold and Talon chucks ... he buys extra sets of base jaws and leaves them permanently attached to the top jaws and he also removes the roll pin that normally keeps you from opening the jaws too far. This allows him to simply unscrew the jaws and quickly install another set. This is only for the more experienced turner obviously because you need to be very aware of what the maximum safe spread is for the jaws as well as installing them into the scroll in the location as well as engaging them with the scroll in the correct sequence. It's a clever idea, but not something that I ever felt a compelling need to do.

Website
www.jjstephen.com
My first chuck was a SuperNova2, which I used on my first lathe (Delta 46-460). I bought it because that was the one that most people on the forums seemed to be recommending. Several months later, I decided I wanted a second chuck and decided to try a different brand just to get some exposure to something different. I bought a Talon. Pretty much from the first day I used it, I developed a strong preference for the Talon over the SN2. Later, when I moved to a big lathe and needed a big chuck, I went with the Stronghold and it remains the chuck I use more than others. That said, I have used other people's Vicmarcs and they are also excellent.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
have one stronghold.....all I need.....take your jaws off at end of turning session and you will only need one chuck

Your point is well taken, Charlie.....:D

There is a difference between need, and what some of us find to be a nice to have convenience. Nobody really "needs" multiple chucks, but it's pleasure to simply mount up a chuck that already has the proper jaws installed......and, go!

I believe it's Steve Worchester who mentioned he has five Stronghold chucks, and I certainly can see the benefits to it. I have three Stronghold chucks, and it's a great convenience for me. These days, money is tight, and I just can't justify buying another chuck.....but, if I were a rich man, I'd probably add one more Stronghold chuck! I have seven or eight sets of jaws, but the most used jaws are those that are left mounted all the time. They are #2,#3, and the Jumbo Jaws. I almost never have a need to change out the #3 jaws.....and the #2 jaws are left on permanently, as it's the most used jaws. There are times when I change out the Jumbo Jaws for the Mega Jumbo Jaws.

Note: I'm not sure if my set of Mega Jumbo Jaws are the same as what's currently offered, but I purchased this set around the same time as I bought my Woodfast lathe about 24 years ago. The holes on the Mega Jumbo Jaws are, of course, able to mount bigger turnings......but, also have hole positions that are smaller than those on the Jumbo Jaws! Occasionally, I need to grip the interior of a very small opening, and the Mega Jumbo Jaws are my only option to do that......:p

ko

Back