• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PAPR recommendations

New to the forum and looking for recommendations on a PAPR system for turning, sanding and cutting. I’ve looked at several online, read posts here and still haven‘t decided. Leaning (but not commented) to the Cleanair Pro. What do you recommen?

Don

I'm liking my Peke Safety Infinity PAPR System. I've been using it for several months with no complaint. Good battery life and I trust it's doing it's job. Comfortable too!

You can find my review on this forum last year of the Peke CleanAir PAPR. Still using it, and still very happy with it.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Still leaning that way. Research gets in the way of turning.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you haven't seen the Versaflo M-407 epic thread, it might be worth a look. It is a running account of how @Emiliano Achaval and I built up our 3M Versaflo M-407 respirators by scrounging parts off eBay. We were able to build up complete systems for a fraction of the cost of paying retail price.

If you haven't seen the Versaflo M-407 epic thread, it might be worth a look. It is a running account of how @Emiliano Achaval and I built up our 3M Versaflo M-407 respirators by scrounging parts off eBay. We were able to build up complete systems for a fraction of the cost of paying retail price.
Interesting read. Will check out eBay. The hunt is on.

I purchased the 3M Versaflo TR-300 HIK set late last year and love it. It's light on my head, the airflow is great and, the best part is it is essentially a HEPA filtered powered system. The drawback is that it's a lot of money. However, I feel that dust filtration is worth it and it merely supplements other dust collection I have, including a cyclone (with a dust hood mounted on my lathe) and an air cleaner.

I used a Trend Airshield Pro for years before I bought the Versaflo, but it always bothered me that it didn't have a HEPA grade filter so I would imagine some of the tiniest particles do get through the filter.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Versaflo and TR300 HIK seems to work well for a woodworker.

On another discussion in this forum titled "Respirator Discussion," from September 2021 there was mention of a unit Optrel Clearmaxx E3000x available sometimes as an open box item from a seller on ebay for mid 500 bucks. I had it in my cart a half dozen times but never pulled the trigger. Then it was out of stock for a few months and then back in stock in February for $550.00. Was nervous about an open box item but it did have a 30 day return policy so I ended up ordering it. Nice quick delivery, good packaging and works great. Glad I finally bought it because I see they have more in stock but the price went up to $750.00. Going from a first generation Trend Airshield to the Optrel is really quite a difference. Hopefully I'll get 10+ years out of it like I did with the Trend.

I have asthma so I take this stuff pretty seriously. I bought a Trend Airshield Pro many years ago but found it uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, especially at the lathe (due to neck position). When I could, I bought a 3M Versaflo and it was much better—ergonomically, in terms of filtration, and of course with battery life.

I recently bought another Versaflo (I now have two shops) and was surprised at how much more expensive they’ve gotten over the last decade. I ended up getting mine new on eBay for about half what they cost retail and it was in perfect condition. I like that the newer ones have battery and filter performance monitoring.

Thanks for all of the responses. Lots of options and ways to buy to explore. Keep them coming.

The Sunstrum 500/570 has become my favorite and I have owned The JSP Powerr Cap sold by Peke Safety, the RPB Z-Link, Trend Airshield Pro, and a couple of others thru the years of wood working.
But the Sundstrum feels lighter on the head than other belt mounted respirators. And - the filter cartridges are CHEAP as compared to all the others. It is HEPA rated. Your an get chemical cartridges for spraying lacquers, etc. AND...you can but Zeckler headphones that have active noise canceling as well as bluetooth and a great boom mike - you can take a call while eh lathe is on, the dust collector running and the room air filter is going on high speed. Pretty incredible.
Call Ken or Tim @ Woodturner's Wonders. I think they are running a sale right now on them.

Last edited:
Organic vapor filters - if you spray finish with solvent finishes, or are sensitive to solvents used in wipe on sanding sealers etc, a papr that offers organic vapor filters would be an excellent choice. Along with particle size filtering and cost, might want to add filter cartridge type to your selection matrix.

I have the 3m Versaflo, and having the organic vapor cartridge is great for spray finishing.

On another discussion in this forum titled "Respirator Discussion," from September 2021 there was mention of a unit Optrel Clearmaxx E3000x available sometimes as an open box item from a seller on ebay….
That was me. I still have and use mine and I’m happy with it. It does have a bit of a high pitched whine, but I forget about it after a while. I don’t know whether other PAPR units have that also.

Sure! Here is a link. AND...BTW this is a better price than I got...so the sale is a pretty good one.

I have Mark, but am afraid they won't stay in my ear. My wife has Apple Airpods and I have a hard time keeping them in. Do you think the Bose would be better? They would certainly be more versatile because they could be worn all the time, not just when the Air Stream is on.

I have Mark, but am afraid they won't stay in my ear. My wife has Apple Airpods and I have a hard time keeping them in. Do you think the Bose would be better? They would certainly be more versatile because they could be worn all the time, not just when the Air Stream is on.
The Bose I have came with "G" shaped silicone ear pieces that fit into the ridges of your external ear. So the fit is much more secure than ear buds that just hang in your ear. The ear pieces came in 3 sizes.

The Bose substantially reduces noise, but does not eliminate it completely, but then neither do my passive muffs. I would say the noise reduction is about the same.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Dave, what you need for the 3M Airstream is muffs with a behind-the-neck band. Mine is Peltor Optime 105 Which is now a 3M product:

3M™ PELTOR™ Optime™ 105 Earmuffs H10B, Behind-the-Head

I've got a few pairs (basement & garage) that I've used for several years--work great. Wore that style of radio headset under helmets working as a safety worker at speedways--got so used to it that the traditional over-the-top felt goofy. When I worked on drag strips, I had custom ear molds for surveillance kits--Racing Electronics probably still has my file, and could probably just make inserts (by now they may even have a blue-tooth line!!).
earl

Website
www.instagram.com
I've been following this thread with much interest.
After much research, post reading and reaching out to a couple of AAW woodturners I decided on a 3M Versaflo with a M-307 helmet. All the components were bought new open box from Ebay. I got the 3M Versaflo TR-300+ complete respirator kit with hospital shroud headpiece for $400 (list price $1500). I'll save the headpiece for sanding or spraying. I also found a brand new 3m Versaflo M307 Helmet for $240 (list price on Amazon $400). Battery took a full charge and all the components were still wrapped in the plastic packaging.
With tax I've come in under $700 though I will buy more prefilters and peel off visor covers. Does anyone know if the prefilter can be fabricated from a similar rated material cut to size? I tend to be very frugal.
I appreciate this thread and all the responses shared here.
Al in Texas

After much research, post reading and reaching out to a couple of AAW woodturners I decided on a 3M Versaflo with a M-307 helmet. All the components were bought new open box from Ebay. I got the 3M Versaflo TR-300+ complete respirator kit with hospital shroud headpiece for $400 (list price $1500). I'll save the headpiece for sanding or spraying. I also found a brand new 3m Versaflo M307 Helmet for $240 (list price on Amazon $400). Battery took a full charge and all the components were still wrapped in the plastic packaging.
With tax I've come in under $700 though I will buy more prefilters and peel off visor covers. Does anyone know if the prefilter can be fabricated from a similar rated material cut to size? I tend to be very frugal.
Al in Texas
Agreed Al, I've been following with great interest as well Found most everything I'd need to build pretty much the same thing you have for about the same price. Need to wait a little bit though to get some cash flow going before I can pull the trigger.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Al in Texas

You got a really great deal considering how much prices had jumped during the worst of the pandemic if you could even find a powered respirator during that time. Hopefully, that is mostly behind us. You will definitely like the Versaflo. If you buy the peel-off visor overlays, just get a minimum quantity until you are sure that you like them. While they do prolong the life of the visor by reducing fine scratches I'm not too crazy about the overlays. They aren't as clear as the polycarbonate visor and internal reflections between the overlay and visor further reduce clarity and contrast. This doesn't bother everybody, but it does bother me. Another issue is that no matter how snug I get the overlay, sanding dust always manages to get between the overlay and visor. You could use painter's tape along all edges, but don't let the tape go more than a couple of weeks before changing the tape, or else the tape might be impossible to remove cleanly.

Not trying to dissuade (or suade) anybody - just chiming in with my experience. I have a basic versaflow helmet (I think its a 107) with the high impact lens, shroud, and specialized tube (the tube is expensive!). I extended the tubing with some cheap CPAP tubing. I also have an inline fan in a completely separate part of the garage, and off the shelf PVC tubing. Fan draws clean air (no filter needed) drives it through PVC/tubingtubing, into helmet, down across my face (no fogging!), and out the base of the shroud. I am tethered, but the tubing reaches everywhere in my space (or I could add another length). This was relatively cheap to set up/install, and has no filters to clog or replace. The versaflow is relatively light and well balanced - I can wear it for extended periods much more comfortably than even the Bionic shield with no tubing. Works for me. Copied Jerry Kermode's setup - he brings the air all the way from his house, so it's warm/cool, plus - he gets to smell whatever's cooking.

I bought a Trend Airshield a few years ago. I found out that it is too heavy and causes neck aches in a rather short time. It now sits on the shelf looking impressive. I'll look into some of the options discussed here. Hopefully I'll find one that has better balance and less weight on my pampered neck.

Back