• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paste grits

This would be a fun project for a wood turning club or one of the members, you can make your own paste with beeswax, oil and rottenstone. If someone takes the time to make a batch you might as well make enough for the entire club. There are several video's on YouTube that show the process for making the product.

I am not sure why you would want to mix all that stuff!
When I use pumice and rotten stone to rub out a finish I just wet a rag with Mineral oil (from the drug store) and dip or sprinkle the abrasive on the rag then rub on the turning. when I think I have finished with a grit I wipe off the gumy paste with a clean soft cloth then check for uniform sheen and reapply if needed. After the final rub (rotten stone) it should have a nice hand rubbed shine then apply a quality carnauba wax.
I looked up rotten stone and pumice and found them at Amazon.

If you were a bowl turner or any other wood turned item marketer you could sell the tins of wax with your name on the can, or give one away with each bowl to renew the finish on the bowl. This would take about an hour to heat and mix up a batch and pour the individual tins of polish and print some labels to place on the tins with your website and trademark/name/number on the label. The cost of the tins would be about the same as the materials going into each one so you would have very little invested into the product. They make the tins in various sizes depending on how much you want to put in a tin.

Back