• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul Busman

Hi all-- I'm Paul Busman, in Frederick MD, formerly from Upstate NY. I've been working with wood for many years, including making Irish Pennywhistles from exotic and domestic hardwoods and some polymers for 24 years. I've sold these and sent them all over the world;

Busman Whistles

This is NOT a commercial post, because for various technical and economic reasons, I'm not making or selling these anymore (although the website has not been updated to show this)

These instruments were made on a small metal lathe, so it would be more accurate to say that I was wood machining rather than woodturning. No handheld tool work at all.
Still, I've always been fascinated by watching wood being turned. I bought a Harbor Freight mini lathe a couple of years ago, played around with it a bit, and got scared poopless the first time I got a big catch from my skew. :eek:
I put the lathe aside but now I'm ready to learn. I joined our local woodturner's club, got some starting help from one of the members, and recently went to an all-day wood-turning skills-building workshop. Oh, I should mention that my wife went to that workshop and we hope to learn together.
A bigger lathe is not in the picture for us due to the cost and the fact that we both have too many other hobbies. I'll be happy if I can make a couple of small bowls and other items.

Back