• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Phil Hopkins

Hello all.

Have lurked for years and years, and finally decided to sign up. I'm not a big forum poster, but I'll see if I can chime in now and again. This forum has been very useful to me over the years, but I doubt I have much to add that would be terribly informative.

Anyway, I've been a woodworker (professionally and as an avocation) for closing in on half a century now. I took up woodturning several decades ago, enjoyed it, but then got busy with life and sold my Nova lathe, with which I was not too happy anyway. I kept thinking I'd get a mini-lathe just to turn the small things I like to turn, and to make wooden jewelry (I'm also a silversmith but not commercially, since family and friends and the occasional commission keep me as busy as I want to be at the jewelry bench), but I never did, as they all seemed compromised in some way. Finally, all this really nice wood I have lying around that came down on my farm from various kinds of storms kept calling to me and I bought a Record Power lathe (that I'm very happy with) and started making tools and handles for a few Thompson tools I still had or freshly bought and started making weaving tools (drop spindles, bobbin spindles, bobbins, beaters, etc) for a heritage homestead place an hour or so away that sells them.

I'm slowly knocking the rust off of my turning skills, have spent far too many hours watching YouTube videos of my favorite turners to refresh the knowledge banks, and have been lurking here.

Here are the requested couple of pics of stuff I've made: a mesquite bowl, some quick and dirty bobbin drop spindles, a new pecan handle for the Thompson bowl gouge, and the new (non-magnetic) rack I'm presently building for tools by the lathe (which is hiding from the damp behind that colorful sheet in my unheated and unsealed shop) with a few tools in to show the fit. :)

Attachments

• 2019-03-18_10-38-30_036.jpeg
    2019-03-18_10-38-30_036.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4433.JPG
    IMG_4433.JPG
    591.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I got more than I can do stuff with. It can grow pretty large around here. I cut one down off of my dad's place that was around 3' in diameter at the trunk. I made a dining table and chairs out of that and still had tons left.

Back