• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Place to section log with Crotch

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
crotch wood

great thread, i've been trying to get figure from them and find that i get two piths on the side of the bowl from smaller trees (about 16" diameter). real large crotchs are too heavy for me to deal with.

figured wood on one side of a bowl can be found on the outside half of a crotch, and its a hard one to turn green as the figured side cuts harder than the softer side. this spliting it in half away from the pith and away from the crotch. hopefully you can understand these directions...

My approach to a crotch is to section, or split the log just to the side of the pith, with the pith being in the bottow of the natural edge bowl I' going to turn. I'll turn away the pith later. This puts the maximum amount of the "flame" pattern from the crotch where it will be seen in the bottom of the bowl. If I leave the two "branches" about the same length from the apex of the Y as the base trunk, I'll get a sort of heart shaped bowl or platter.

Hope this helps.

Whit

I cut them just like I would a full log, cut out a slab including all piths (in a y shape). You then have two blanks with nice feather and a slab you can make a platter or bottle stoppers with.

dietrich

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
Crotch Wood Cutting Methods

I have been trying various methods for getting the most out of a crotch log. The following figures show 3 ways that have been tried to get a decent looking bowl. The drawing shows a cross-section through a crotch log with the pith in red and the best figure in the central section in blue.

This works. Method A

This works. Method B

This does not work as you hog out the very difficult grain and are left with very little figure.

This walnut bowl has both piths almost showing on the sides and would result from method A.

This bowl has pith on one side and might have been from Method B. Sorry I didn't log this bowl with the method 6 months ago!!

This example has good balance and is Method A.

Back