• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 4224 banjo

I have a powermatic 4224 and positively love it! I wonder though if there might be a smaller banjo that the one I have which is almost 24" long.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have a powermatic 4224 and positively love it! I wonder though if there might be a smaller banjo that the one I have which is almost 24" long.

You might look at the ONEWAY banjo. Smaller side to side. About 18”:long
A lot easier to move and it gets a short rest in close to the tail center without having to extend the quill way out. Also the tool post lock is over the banjo lock so it is out off the way on both sides.

Give ONEWAY a call they sell quite a few after market banjos.
I’ve turned a few times on a freinds 24” powermatic. It’s a good lathe. I’d like it better with a ONEWAY banjo.

Al's suggestion is very good. I bought a Oneway banjo not long ago as a second banjo for a 32-inch tool rest and now use that as the day-to-day choice. Reasonable price, prompt delivery, and they do of course make banjos for 24-inch lathes. It is narrower than Powermatic so you have to be careful when it wants to drop in the Powermatic's wider bed gap when you move it around.

Back