• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Protecting a sharp edge

I’m a slow learner sometimes, and my recent evolutionary learning is probably’old hat’ and obvious to many of you more experienced turners. With that admission…

I finally internalized the advice from Mel Gibson in “The Patriot” where he instructed his son aiming “aim small, miss small.” A couple years ago I began to understand that, all else equal, a shallow cut will be cleaner with less tear out than a healthy cut. As I finally internalized that I learned to naturally take deeper cuts when hogging out but always finish with fine, shallow cuts with a sharp edge. The same sharp edge will leave a better finish when removing 1/32”-1/16” than 1/8”-3/16”. My turning improved a couple years ago when this became subconscious.

My most recent quantum learning step has been in protecting that good sharp edge. 90%+ of turning is removing waste so you can make that final clean pass or two. I’ve learned that I can push a ‘not perfectly sharp’ edge a little while I’m hogging out as long as I leave enough waste to remove the roughed up surface with a couple clean light passes with a sharp edge. In this regard I’ve become conscious of what parts of my tool edge I’ve been using, and what parts still have a clean sharp edge; if in doubt resharpen or grab a different sharp gouge for the last couple passes.

As mentioned, I’m sure these observations are obvious and trivial to many of the seasoned turners here but it took me a few years to come to those realizations. This applies to NRS as mentioned in another thread, as well mostly To the rest of my gouges

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
mentioned, I’m sure these observations are obvious and trivial to many of the seasoned turners here but it took me a few years to come to those realizations.

I think it takes time at the lathe to appreciate. Big chips when roughing 3/4”-1/2”
For finishing transition to shavings of 1/4”, 1/8”, 1/16”, 1/32… on down to whisks.

One of the great benefits of using the flute up cut with the Ellsworth gouge is the nose of the left wing does the finish cut then the gouge is rolled over to remove more wood for the next finish cut. So the right wing is removing waste leaving the left wing sharp for the next finish cut.

Last edited:
To me, this is like tool metals where 'the cutting edge lasts 10 times longer'. For roughing cuts, you are just removing waste, so clean cuts do not really matter. As you get better, your roughing cuts get a lot smoother, with fewer 'ripples' in the resulting surface. Finish cuts require a fresh edge, and much lighter cuts.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
As with anything that can be refined to a high level of excellence, the old adage applies:

The last 10% of the work, is 90% of the effort.

-o-

The 90/10 Rule: Why the Final Stretch is Often the Toughest​

Any seasoned engineering manager is likely all too familiar with the 90/10 rule. This development hurdle is one that often plagues projects, and it doesn't matter what type of device you're creating.

Without good project management, crossing the finish line might seem impossible. So, what is the 90/10 rule?

In simple terms, it's the concept that 90% of the work needed to finish your project will take a mere 10% of the time. But that final 10% push to reach the end? It will eat up 90% of your timeline!

Last edited:
Back