• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question on stabilizing wood and resin use

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I already see so much useful information, wonderful people and beautiful work here. I have recently gotten in to stabilizing wood, purchased a BacoEng vacuum unit and pump last week. Stabilized my first piece of walnut burl and am excited to turn it into something (pun intended) in the next couple days. My wife and I also recently purchased a pressure vessel to do interesting things with resin pouring.

My question is this - I looked at a lot of internet articles on wood stabilizing so I think I understand the process: dry (cook), submerse in resin and vacuum until bubbles are gone, soak and then finish up with baking to cure the Cactus juice. A lot of these articles are interspersed with great pictures of wood that has been stabilized, but also appears to have large gaps that are filled with resin (I assume). One such site is here:
The author gives excellent advice on how to perform the process. Many of the pictures appear to show pieces of wood that have been stabilized but also have resin filling large gaps. For example the bowl with the blue slash in the center. Is the process to stabilize the wood, then put it into a mold and pour your resin into it, pressurize, cure etc.? We're doing small things, pens, ornaments, small bowls etc.

Hope my question makes sense. I'm very new at this and am excited about putting stuff on our lathe that we enhance in this way.
Daniel

Not sure about stabilizing. If you want some ideas and to see some very cool turnings like you are talking about check out Heath Knuckles on YouTube. Nick Zametti is another good one for turning a lot of wood and resin.

Back