• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Replacement for old Nova chuck key

I have a couple old Nova chucks and the key broke. It seems the only replacements for sale these days come out of New Zealand for $154, more than the cost of a new chuck without the jaws. Does anyone know where I can from one or do you have one sitting around I can buy?

Attachments

• Chuck key.jpg
    Chuck key.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 12
Only 1 chuck uses that key, the original Nova Supernova. A company in England had a supply of them made of steel but they went out of business (they also did not ship to the USA). I had a friend there buy me one and he shipped to me. At the time of their shutdown I think they still had about a dozen or so left, what happened to those is anyone's guess. I'm pretty sure in the last year that I saw someplace that a turner made one for himself but cannot remember where I saw it.

If what broke is one of the cogs (teeth) on the head, perhaps you could have a welder add a few spots of weld and then file it back to the original shape.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Ken, I have an extra one. Will look for it and follow up with you. Also have an extra SN chuck for sale (with it's own key and extras) if you'd like.

Sent PM (Start Conversation)

Last edited:
Back