• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safe finish for highly allergic

Hey folks. 1 Granddaughter is highly allergic to seeds and nuts. I’m turning a couple of walnut bowls for the wife and I to use but on the off chance that the grand grabs one, what would you folks suggest as a safe finish? We do know that she can handle my turnings of various woods so it’s more about the finish. Walnut oil would be a concern. Or go to a stand by such as mineral oil? Thanks!

I use very thin coats of Minwax fast dry poly. That product forms a film finish and contact with the wood is not an issue. The poly is impossible to chip off since it looks almost like oil, but wipe down way easier after use.

Mike Mahoney has a walnut oil that is allergy free.
As John says, Mike's walnut oil is supposed to have the proteins that could provoke an allergy denatured by the heat treatment. On the other hand, some folks are literally deathly allergic to walnuts and Mike's product has not been subject to rigorous, controlled medical testing, AFAIK. As a result, allergic folks need to make a thoughtful decision about using walnut oil. Tung oil and linseed oil would be alternatives if an oil finish is desired, but they are also biologic products and although there are not reports of significant allergy problems from them, there is always a theoretical possibility. Richard's suggestion of Poly-as-oil finish seems like a safe way to go for those with true and serious allergy to nuts.

Both Mike Mahoney's and the Doctor's Woodshop walnut oils have been heat treated which breaks down the proteins in the nuts and oils, and the proteins are what cause the allergic reactions. As far as how safe are they for those who are sensitive, I have never heard a case against either maker. Michael Meridith, of the Doctor's Woodshop has a PhD in chemistry.

robo hippy

Back