• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Searching among shavings for woodworm screw

Yesterday I spent 15 minutes on my knees searching amongst the large pile of shavings for a dropped woodworm screw. While down there I wondered how to avoid this in the future (besides not dropping it in the first place). I thought about a metal detector or possibly painting it fluorescent orange. Any other bright ideas?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

I have one of these magnetic pick-up tools, and it's helped me find some dropped screws and other metal things I've dropped. I know just how difficult it can be to find things amongst shavings....and, I feel your pain! :)
image_17024.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Swearing a little actually helps when Sherry is in the shop because she will find things in minutes.
We also have a strong magnet. Although a significant shaving pile still needs to be pulled apart.
:D

I have used the base on magnetic lamps for this. Now, if I am removing a small screw, I do it over a big table top. That saves me, most of the time...

robo hippy

I have used the base on magnetic lamps for this. Now, if I am removing a small screw, I do it over a big table top. That saves me, most of the time...

robo hippy
I also do things like change chuck jaws (as rarely as possible) far from the lathe, but removing the woodworm screw is always (at least by me) done with the chuck mounted. Murphy’s Law….

Woodworm screw? Ha! That's for rookies. Try a wedding band.

Had to buy a metal detector. Oh, and the rebar in the concrete floor was a challenge. Then a trip to the jewelry store to resize the ring.
Karl, inquiring minds want to know, why did the ring need to be resized?

Lost some weight, the ring was loose and fell off into a pile of shavings.
Ah! I should have put 2 and 2 together. I assumed the ring was damaged hitting the floor, or something like that. Didn’t think of why the ring hit the floor in the first place.

And then because of the rebar in the concrete floor I couldn't just scan the pile but had to had to wave the metal detector over the shavings a handful at a time. Gold ring blended in with the color of the shavings pretty well.

Yesterday I spent 15 minutes on my knees searching amongst the large pile of shavings for a dropped woodworm screw. While down there I wondered how to avoid this in the future (besides not dropping it in the first place). I thought about a metal detector or possibly painting it fluorescent orange. Any other bright ideas?
It's known as the Floorth Dimension.

Had to buy a metal detector. Oh, and the rebar in the concrete floor was a challenge. Then a trip to the jewelry store to resize the ring.
My Wedding band is a tattoo, so this won’t be an issue for me. Just a thought though, you could turn one of those ring holder dishes and put it in your bathroom. Put your ring in it whenever you head into the shop. A bonus is that if your wife notices the ring still on the holder as she’s getting ready for bed, she might actually check on you to make sure you’re still alive

Why would you be wearing a ring while in the shop? So many threads talking about eye safety, breathing safety, but then wear jewelry? I made my living in shops for 30+ years; first rule always was to have a special place for your personals, and to always put rings, watches, necklaces and neck ties away. Do this when you first enter the shop, put them back on when you leave.

robo hippy
Or a half sheet pan

I suspect my shop is inhabited by swamp rats that come out at when I look in another direction, hide stuff away, and then make it reappear in obvious places at random intervals. That usually happens just before the replacement arrives

I've taken up shooting clay pigeons and in the process came across a different kind of magnetic picker upper than the ring type. It uses rare Earth magnets, so it has a lot of holding power in a slender package. Making a magnetic picker upper at least as good as the commercial ferrous ones would be no more complicated that a dowel, a couple magnets and some epoxy.
1703902474140.jpeg

Hi, my first post here. I'm a longtime pro flat wood worker (but jr turner) with a small shop. I keep 2 metal detectors in the shop for scanning green and reclaimed wood before I cut into it. I also just picked up one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Magnet-95-lb-Heavy-Duty-Round-Pull-Magnets-96364/203613147

I have a 13 year old that was interested in magnet fishing for about a week. He bought one of these (currently out of stock); https://brutemagnetics.com/collecti...d-eyebolt-350-lbs-pulling-force-2-95-diameter
I'll probably inherit it. I'm sure it works miracles searching shavings but I'd hate to get it stuck to a lathe leg.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
have a 13 year old that was interested in magnet fishing for about a week. He bought one of these (currently out of stock); magnetics-round-neodymium-magnet-with-countersunk-hole-and-eyebolt-350-lbs-pulling-force
I'll probably inherit it. I'm sure it works miracles searching shavings but I'd hate to get it stuck to a lathe leg.

Great tool. But like you I see lots of unhappy endings using it in the shop. :)
Once upon a time I could dead lift 320 - 30 pounds shy of ever being able to detach it from anything :cool:

So where does it stand at this point Lou? Have you found it yet?

So where does it stand at this point Lou? Have you found it yet?
Thanks for asking Tom. Yes, I found it after 15 minutes of sifting through my fingers. The complicating factor I did t mention is that I keep a trash can under the lathe and I wasn’t sure if it went in the can or straight to the floor. It was in the pile on the floor.

Late to this thread, but I find a dish under the chuck on the lathe bed is the help BEFORE the pieces are lost, especially if you have a large pile of shavings under the lathe, these things really help.

Magnetic dish.jpg

Late to this thread, but I find a dish under the chuck on the lathe bed is the help BEFORE the pieces are lost, especially if you have a large pile of shavings under the lathe, these things really help.

View attachment 58880
good idea Leo. I actually have a couple of these. I’ll try to remember to use one. Also, at least in the short run, will try to clean up shavings as I go, rather than wait until I’m knee deep in it.

Back