• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

segmented sculpture with armature

While looking for plans for a bowling ball vise I came across this video of Jerry Bennett's shop (vise shows up @ 15:45). I had seen photos of his amazing sculptural work but had not considered that he uses metal armatures to establish the shapes. Can someone explain the process? I am guessing that tapered spindles are turned, crosscut into beveled segments, center-bored and threaded onto the armature, glued and further shaped and sanded. Am I on the right track?

Hi Kevin, first, the grain must always run with the armature. Each layer has 10 segments. The layers are made all the same size, usually about 2” in diameter. A hole is drilled in the center. About 8 at a time are turned to the appropriate diameter using a mandrel. I measure the angle of the armature and taper each layer accordingly. I use titebond between each layer and a spot of ca glue in the hole To quickly hold it in place. Once the tarball is all done, a fine rasp and sandpaper refine the jaggies. This is all doable. The real trick is nailing the shape and not being timid with the execution. The final result is sculpture in wood that can compete directly with glass. You can actually do things with this technique that can never be done with glass.
I encourage you to give it a try.
jerry

Thank you so much for replying, Jerry. I am still not completely clear on the construction. Are the layers long grain with the fibers aligned with the armature and lengthwise beveled joints between the segments? If so, what is the reason for segmenting rather than using solid wood? If the layers are crossgrain, as in a typical segmented bowl, what keeps seasonal movement from generating cracks in the piece?

Honestly, I doubt I will use this technique. I have spent most of my life as a cabinetmaker making big ones into little ones and then making bigger ones out of them, and much of the attraction in woodturning is working directly with solid wood in a subtractive manner. Just the same your work is so virtuosic I can't help but want to know how you go about it.

The grain is aligned with the armature not as in a typical vessel. Segmenting gives you unlimited options as to size, aesthetics and wood movement.

Back