• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Segmenting Question

I am trying to make 4 individual salad bowls from maple. The outside diameter will be around 7.25", and the height of the bowl will be approx. 3". Wall thickness will be 0.25". I intend to put a segmented ring on the top of the bowl, 16 segments, made from zebra wood. I would like to separate each of the segments with a dark wood, to simply highlight the zebra wood itself and provide some contrast to the maple. I have some walnut veneer, about 0.02" thick. Will one piece/slice of walnut veneer between each segment suffice to highlight the zebra segments, or can I add one or more extra pieces between the segments? Is there any issue with having 2 or 3 thin layers between segments (like seeing each of the layers when finished), or do I need to find some walnut around 1/16" thick?

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Doug

Website
www.ovwg.org
Well, Zebrawood has brown tones so putting one layer may not be enough to contrast. I believe it would blend in with the striping on the Zebrawood, so I would find a thicker walnut, (1/16" might be too thick) maybe 1/32". If you couldn't find thicker walnut, stacking two 0.02" ones would be ok, I have stacked veneer and you can't see the layers unless it is magnified. Just an idea, some others here might have more to say or add....:)

If you want to highlight the Zebrawood I should think a darker or lighter veneer would be best. Consider black veneer or white veneer. I believe 1/16 inch thick would be a good thickness. Your best bet would be to make up a partial ring, three or four segments, as a test. You can try several variations before committing to the final selection.

Thanks for replying to all. I ended up using 1/16" spacers made from maple between the zebrawood segments. I initially tried it with walnut, but it did not provide enough contrast. The maple spacers turned out pretty good.

Back