• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spray Acrylic Over Oil

I have a natural edge oak bowl that I dyed and put liming wax on. I removed the excess wax with a Doctor's walnut oil/microcrystalline wax mix. As it is not a utility bowl, I'd like to seal the surface. My plan is to spray a clear acrylic on it. Will there be a problem with the acrylic adhering to the surface? Thanks.

Very hard to completely remove wax from wood. I wouldn't give it much of a chance of sticking. What did you use to remove the Doctor's mix? A completed piece is not a good place to experiment with finish. A scrap piece of wood is so much better.

“The die is cast”.
The time for finish choices is before anything goes on.
doctors woodshop finish is beautiful and stands up well to casual handling, works beautifully for a display piece.
Really, not good to try to change direction midstream.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I use shellac on pieces that have a fully cured oil finish and use it all the time following Yorkshire grit abrasive paste, which has wax in it. Shellac sticks to anything, easy to apply and if you want something later most anything will stick to shellac. I usually rub on four coats of shellac, about 30 minutes between coats and lightly sand with 600 after second and third coat.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Ed, it varies depending on wood, temps and sunlight. Some woods it "cures" enough fairly quick - a few days. Some it takes a lot longer. I've found poplar and willow seem to take forever to really cure. By cure I mean no oily sheen on your fingers when you handle it and to be sure you can place it on a piece of computer printer paper overnight. If there's an oil ring then maybe let it cure more. Warmth and sunlight help a lot in the curing process so this time of year I give it 3-4 days in my shop. When no oil sheen on my fingers I move on to finishing with shellac. All that said, I don't think shellac is finicky at all about what it goes on. I usually put shellac on the next day when all I've used is Yorkshire grit paste.

When rubbing shellac on I put a few drops of mineral oil on my application pad then put shellac on and rub it on the piece. The mineral oil doesn't impact the shellac and it helps the pad glide on the surface to give a much nicer shine. Counterintuitive to put oil on the pad and then shellac and rub on but, it's what I picked up from watching the furniture guys online.

Also, most store bought shellac has wax in it. You can buy or mix your own dewaxed shellac which is what I do. I use it for my go to finish where I want a glossy finish.

Back