• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sweetgum bowls

What is the consensus (or opinions) on Sweetgum as a wood for bowls. I don't recall seeing any here, but there is so much that it may just be my memory. I have an opportunity to get some big chunks and want to know if it is worth the effort.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Sweet gum is fine for bowls. It usually has a nice gain pattern, often has bird pecks as an added feature.
Dried bowls warp about like sycamore.
Nice for natural edge bowls.

The sap is a bit sticky. When I turn it I occasionally sharpen just to clean the bevel on a sharp tool.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Sweetgum is great! It’s an interesting wood to turn, and has a sort of velvety, fuzzy feel until it’s finely sanded. I have a few pieces in my gallery, and @Marc Banka occasionally posts some absolutely stunning bowls made from sweetgum.

It turns nicely and sands easily. In my experience, its coloration highly variable. It spalts easily -- that can add interest but can turn punky. A long time ago I was able to buy a large amount of air-dried 6/4 sweetgum planks in widths up to 14" (well over 100 BF) for a great price. Color ranges from warm browns to very pale yellowish. Most was spalted since it apparently had been exposed to weather.
Ice storm damage forced my parents to remove a sweetgum from their yard. It spalted quickly.

Well, I don't like the trees because they drop these pokey balls all year long, but they do have wonderful fall colors. Oh, the roots go out across the top of the ground rather than down under. It does spalt easily. Most of what I have seen has little to no color to it. Could be a whole different thing depending on where it is growing.

robo hippy

Back