• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool question: Munro Wundercutt10 worth it?

I know Randy and John like the Munro. Is this a great tool for hollowing in hollow forms? Found it for $280 at Packard. That’s a lot of money for one tool. And this version is almost $400: Munro 3/4” H2 tool with carbide cutter.

What’s best if buying just one?

Search mode shows some favorable reviews but all a few years old, so I’ll start over.

Last edited:
I have the Wondercut10 and like it very much for my olla pottery inspired forms. It is also excellent for tall end grain bowls. It moves material quickly and leaves an excellent surface off the tool. The 5/8” bar is stable quite a ways over the tool rest. The 3/4” tool would get you even further and mount in a Jamieson style hollowing rig without the need for adapters.

Asking is a tool is worth it makes answers really difficult . Could easily be worth it to them but not you. What do you want to gain by buying it? I've found that that kind of cutting system has to be used at lower spindle speeds, and the curls can be very long and difficult to get out of a hollow form with a small opening.

Asking is a tool is worth it makes answers really difficult . Could easily be worth it to them but not you. What do you want to gain by buying it? I've found that that kind of cutting system has to be used at lower spindle speeds, and the curls can be very long and difficult to get out of a hollow form with a small opening.
Probably true about asking about anything. But if I heard it catches easily or is made of poor material and falls apart, other opinions, the info would be helpful. Just like what you offered about shavings—thanks!

Hahah. At the expense, you funding me? These would be the most expensive tools I’ve ever bought so I’m going slowly.
If you are going slow, ask at your local club if anyone has one. Much better to try one before making the purchase. If I was spending that kind of money to hollow, I would buy the Jamieson system again. It's only $499

Hahah. At the expense, you funding me? These would be the most expensive tools I’ve ever bought so I’m going slowly.
I have the 2nd one and like it. Remember, these are used mostly for end grain. You can also use hook tools for end grain, Martel makes a good one. Lots of options now a days.

I’ve never used a Munro type hollowing tool. I do quite a bit of hollowing. I see those type of tools sort of limited - the tool is somewhat large, requiring a hole large enough to fit, and it needs a larger access to get the large, long chips out.

I tend to make the access hole small as possible for the size of project. I use a Jamieson system. The 3/16” tool bits can remove material quickly. A teardrop scraper bit can be attached to the small bar the swivel mounts on to smooth things out if I make a piece with a large opening.

I also use a Oneway termite for large opening end grain turnings (I make end grain bowls). It works similar to the Munro style and is cheaper. I picked mine up reasonably from a club member.

I don’t see much use for me for those large covered edge style tools.

It is super solid and well made. I also have used the Woodcut Pro-Form, which is probably the most comparable hollowing tool and I prefer the Munro.

I also have both, but prefer the Woodcut Pro-Form.

You have to develop efficient shavings removal with any of these hollowers.

Definitely a good idea to borrow one, if possible, and try it before you buy.

They do come up 2nd hand but you do have to be patient or very lucky to get one that way.

i have the 3/4" monroe hollowing tool and use it all the time, plus i can use the boring bar in my jameson system both are great

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
The Munro tool is still part of my arsenal for hollowing and works well but does take some practice. I've settled into a routine for how I hollow that may vary a bit based on size and how the wood cuts. The primary use of the Munro tool now is cleanup once the main hollowing is done with the Simple articulated setup for the first 5-6 inches and then the Clark system for the rest of it. I sit on a stool at the end of the lathe, put the Munro tool bar on my right shoulder, hold it there with my right hand and control it near the tool rest with my left hand. I can easily see into the form and work specific areas or spots I see that need some cleanup work. If it's not a really large piece I may use the Munro for the hollowing after the 5-6 inch point but it's hard to beat the Clark for brute force material removal when needed.

Back