• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tools: What is the difference?

A 1/2" bowl gouge and a 1/4" bowl gouge will feel different, just because of the size difference. Even assuming the 1/4" is the British flute measurement and equivalent to a 3/8" US measurement, this is still probably not a reliable comparison. IME, both have their place.

I was wondering about the measurement (outside vs. flute, US vs. EU). I tried to compare it to other lathes in the store. I thought perhaps the 1/4 Crown would be similar to a 3/8 US shank. But, no, it's smaller. There are uses for a 1/4" BG, perhaps, but now having bought it, it remains to be seen how much work it will get. For shaping tenons and foot (feet?) I use a spindle gouge.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I was wondering about the measurement (outside vs. flute, US vs. EU). I tried to compare it to other lathes in the store. I thought perhaps the 1/4 Crown would be similar to a 3/8 US shank. But, no, it's smaller. There are uses for a 1/4" BG, perhaps, but now having bought it, it remains to be seen how much work it will get. For shaping tenons and foot (feet?) I use a spindle gouge.

Have to check sizes with the seller.
I use a 3/8 inch bar diameter Thompson that replaced my worn out 1/4” g laser.

Now it’s gotten more complicated.
A 1 1/4 tool is likely to be 30mm or sometimes 31mm and both are smaller than 1.25 inches

English bowl gouges are 1/8” less than the bar diameter.
Spindle gouges are the bar diameter.

Two 1 1/4 continental gouges both are smaller
IMG_1070.jpeg. IMG_1071.jpeg

Last edited:
The English bowl gouge measurement is/was quite a strange way of describing the size of a tool. Thankfully manufacturers are slowly beginning to use the bar stock diameter instead!

The English bowl gouge measurement is/was quite a strange way of describing the size of a tool. Thankfully manufacturers are slowly beginning to use the bar stock diameter instead!
The euro flute measurement predates bar stock mfg. I don’t think sg and bg were differentiated. Gouges were made from flat bar stock, forged into a curve. Commonly called a continental gouge today.

The euro flute measurement predates bar stock mfg. I don’t think sg and bg were differentiated. Gouges were made from flat bar stock, forged into a curve. Commonly called a continental gouge today.
Due to the weakness of the tang, were bowl gouges ever made from flat stock like continental spindle gouges?
I read a history of the modern bowl gouge somewhere, I’m sure it’s a relatively new invention. Up until that point many folks hogged out bowls with a scraper, some still do.
Before that hook tools were used on mostly green wood on a pole lathe but that’s another story.

Have to check sizes with the seller.
I use a 3/8 inch bar diameter Thompson that replaced my worn out 1/4” g laser.

Now it’s gotten more complicated.
A 1 1/4 tool is likely to be 30mm or sometimes 31mm and both are smaller than 1.25 inches

English bowl gouges are 1/8” less than the bar diameter.
Spindle gouges are the bar diameter.

Two 1 1/4 continental gouges both are smaller
View attachment 60226. View attachment 60227
That explains it. I would never have guessed English BGs are bar diameter minus 1/8"

That explains it. I would never have guessed English BGs are bar diameter minus 1/8"
To be perfectly accurate, they are not. The -1/8" gives us a workable estimate, but the true British measurement is across the flute. So your 1/4" flute measurement Crown gouge has a shank diameter close to 3/8", but not exactly. Maybe it's 9mm, which would be 0.35 inches, close to but not exactly the 0.375 inches which is 3/8.

All that being said, I love my Crown bowl gouge, which is called 3/8 on the east side of the Atlantic, but measures about 1/2" on the west side of the Atlantic. Smaller than that is a little flexy and hard for me to control/keep out of mischief.

Back