• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Green Burls

When I turn HFs, I almost always do them twice turned. The few times that I have turned a burl HF, it has always been dry wood, thus once turned. I recently came upon some maple burl from a freshly felled tree. Can green burls be twice turned? Is there a way to preserve the bark around the rim as it dries? Or, should I just turn once, start to finish and let it dry slowly once complete? Thanks for the feedback.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I turn all mine once. But I think it’s you’re choice.
These are all once turned maple diameters are 14-13” range
After turning I put thin CA on the bark and along the seam with the wood.
I keep the CA off the wood.
After they dry I sand off the lathe and begin the finish. These all have waterlox

I bleached the inside of the one with voids
Two maple burls two natural edge maple

IMG_0438.jpegIMG_0313.JPGIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1376.jpg

Last edited:
Back