• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week February 5, 2024

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Dan Stevenson's Norfolk Wall Art is my choice for Turning of the Week. Dan has a long history of working with Norfolk Island Pine. He turns them end-grain to accentuate the five branch strands that are indicative of this species. In this particular piece, however, Dan has 'replaced' the natural five strands with another species - Padauk. The wood strongly resembles the natural branches in the wood.

But Dan doesn't stop there. He also embellishes his Norfolk pieces with woodburning symbology. In many of his pieces, as he did with this piece, he re-creates Polynesian patterns, which fit with the species of wood. Norfolk Island Pine grows in warm climates, like rainforests and in the South Pacific. Well done, Dan.

full

Dan Stevenson's Norfolk Wall Art is my choice for Turning of the Week. Dan has a long history of working with Norfolk Island Pine. He turns them end-grain to accentuate the five branch strands that are indicative of this species. In this particular piece, however, Dan has 'replaced' the natural five strands with another species - Padauk. The wood strongly resembles the natural branches in the wood.

But Dan doesn't stop there. He also embellishes his Norfolk pieces with woodburning symbology. In many of his pieces, as he did with this piece, he re-creates Polynesian patterns, which fit with the species of wood. Norfolk Island Pine grows in warm climates, like rainforests and in the South Pacific. Well done, Dan.

full
Awe shucks. Thank you for the honor Donna.

A few days ago while looking through all the great work posted on this forum, I was trying to guess which one would be selected as turning of the week, and this was my guess. Congratulations Dan.
Thanks John. I’ve been away from the AAW a while now, but upon returning was excited to see so much fabulous & out of the box work being done & posted here recently.

Back