• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for January 8th, 2024

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My selection for Turning of the Week for January 8th, 2024 is "Sunset Breeze" by Russ Braun. Many of us enjoyed the first AAW Forum follow-along “Project” by Russ. His explanations of the process and methods he uses, along with some humorous tidbits, made for an educational and enjoyable experience – especially for us non-segmenters! Thank you for that, Russ.

As we anticipated the end result of the finished Wenge piece, “Shooting the Breeze” (a fantastic piece), Russ then showed us the companion piece made at the same time (different woods, slightly different form, etc.) … knocked my socks off !!! Well done, sir.

full

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Great choice, Tom!! Russ did a killer job with the follow alongs. Mind blowing stuff. I love that he came up with two vessel designs. Hard to choose a favorite. Great job Russ!

This follow along project continues its journey. Thanks for the selection Tom, I’m honored. The great thing about this piece(s)/ journey is this process is an excellent example of the rewards of sharing your stuff with other people. What you put into something is typically exceeded by what you get out of it. Sharing my processes for others to try was plenty reward for me, I loved the feeling that yielded. Two swap pieces that people were stoked to receive, accolades from people seeing the pictures, and now photo of the week…..icing on the cake for sure!! The rewards keep coming along.

Everyone should take this pathway of sharing!!

Back