• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

using Apoxie Scupt to fill cracks

I have a piece of Marblewood with some small cracks and some Manzanita with large cracks.
I want to turn them after filling the cracks with Apoxie Scupt.

Has anybody done this and successfully held the cracked wood together while turning?
I've read that some people use CA glue mixed with sawdust to fill and strengthen the cracks.
Would Apoxie Scupt be as strong a bond as CA glue mixed with sawdust? Is either one
of these techniques reliable for holding cracked wood together while turning?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I would imagine Apoxie sculpt isn't much different (functional wise), than using epoxy 2-part mixed with sanding dust. I've been using the latter for many years to fill cracks in bowls while in the act of turning.....and have yet to see the bond fail.

(This doesn't mean a failure to bond isn't possible, only that I don't recall of this kind of failure ever happening to the cracks I've filled this way.)

-o-

I would imagine Apoxie sculpt isn't much different (functional wise), than using epoxy 2-part mixed with sanding dust. I've been using the latter for many years to fill cracks in bowls while in the act of turning.....and have yet to see the bond fail.

(This doesn't mean a failure to bond isn't possible, only that I don't recall of this kind of failure ever happening to the cracks I've filled this way.)

-o-
Thanks! This is just the kind of advice gained from experience I was hoping for! On another note, have you tried turning manzanita with large cracks? Is the wood strong enough to hold together in spite of the cracks? Have you tried filling large cracks with epoxy? Or is that a bad idea?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks! This is just the kind of advice gained from experience I was hoping for! On another note, have you tried turning manzanita with large cracks? Is the wood strong enough to hold together in spite of the cracks? Have you tried filling large cracks with epoxy? Or is that a bad idea?

No, not with Manzinita, I haven't. I have filled cracks up to about 1/16" wide on many other exotic woods with no problems, though. I'd imagine cracks need to be scrutinized individually....the shape and length of the crack may make a difference in how any single crack can be addressed.

I have a Gabon Ebony bowl on my lathe right now that had a pretty significant crack in it. On this one, I declined to fill it with an epoxy/sanding dust repair. Instead, I flipped it from "horseshoe" to "rainbow" grain orientation, and reduced the height of the bowl to get rid of the crack instead. (Sometimes, it's better to take the loss than to deal with the crack.)

-o-

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Apoxie sculpt isn't as strong as epoxie and dulls tools terribly. I tossed it in the trash. Milliput is much better but i dont think it is good enough to hold wood together to avoid it flying apart. I use regular epoxie and color it if needed. Milliput is good for cracks and voids that aren't structural.

I think you should assume that a piece with cracks big enough, and oriented such that it may come apart while turning, is almost just as likely to do so after adding your epoxy.You would need a mechanical connection for that.
That said, it can be fun and challenging to arrange the cracks, and take care while turning, to include checking the growth of the cracks as you remove material. Be wise with your speed, keep tools sharp, avoid banging the bevel of your gouge, and above all, stay out of the line of fire!83E980EA-B4B0-42DA-8EE9-D78118F3E42A.jpeg

Apoxie sculpt isn't as strong as epoxie and dulls tools terribly. I tossed it in the trash. Milliput is much better but i dont think it is good enough to hold wood together to avoid it flying apart. I use regular epoxie and color it if needed. Milliput is good for cracks and voids that aren't structural.
What is the largest size crack you feel it's safe to use epoxy?

Back