• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

V15

I have a 5/8V CPM 15V bowl gouge made by Doug Thompson. I'm pretty sure he doesn't/won't make them anymore as you don't gain much over CPM 10V steel with the price the 15V steel costs above the 10V. I believe he said that the sharpened 15V can be a little chippy. I can't confirm that as I have never used the one I got as the 5/8" CPM 10V gouges are my favorites and I have a few backups.

Have several old Glaser tools and use them daily...last 15V 5/8 bought used 3 years ago for $50.
Can't afford "collector's items":eek:...but interested in buying a working tool.
As they wear down, replace with Thompson's.

Back