• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc jaws problem

My Vicmarc jaws have a wobble. I have made sure that the jaws and chuck numbers are aligned and that all eight screws are tight. Could the wobble cause be screws that are too long?

My Vicmarc jaws have a wobble. I have made sure that the jaws and chuck numbers are aligned and that all eight screws are tight. Could the wobble cause be screws that are too long?
Are the screws firmly seated all the way in with the the screw head slightly below the top surface after tightening?

Is the wobble happening while the jaws are holding/clamping something? If you aren't clamping something then the jaws will be slightly loose, and you can sometimes hear a rattling sound at low rpm.

There are two lengths of countersunk bolts for the VM100 chuck and two for the VM120 (and variants thereof). The different lengths are the shorter bolt for the range of jaws, the longer bolts are used for the cole jaw, jaws.

Is the wobble happening while the jaws are holding/clamping something? If you aren't clamping something then the jaws will be slightly loose, and you can sometimes hear a rattling sound at low rpm.

There are two lengths of countersunk bolts for the VM100 chuck and two for the VM120 (and variants thereof). The different lengths are the shorter bolt for the range of jaws, the longer bolts are used for the cole jaw, jaws:)
It scares me when anything is or seems loose on the lathe. I'll be ordering shorter screws today.

As I remember when looking at jaw screws closely, the Vics had a different head angle than the Nova's that I own. Though I could be remembering this wrong. So, I would suggest that you know the exact head angle or buy direct from vicmarc to ensure you have the correct screws.

The correct bolts for the VM100 chuck jaws are M6 x 12 flat head socket screws.

The standard required, or at least what Vicmarc supply, are G12.9, which is important.

As the three mm Allen head socket gets rounded over time with use, I bought a box of 100 from a fastener supply company for approximately the cost of two 8 bolt sets via official Vicmarc channels in Australia.

VM100_Jaw_Bolts.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Your issue might be a base jaw (the part that meshes with the scroll plate and on which the top dovetail jaws are mounted) that wasn’t machined properly. On one of my VM120 chucks one of the base jaws rides very loosely in the chuck body keyway. I should have returned it to Craft Supplies for exchange, but lollygagged around too long. I’ve been putting up with it for several years, but I really need to buy a new set of base jaws.

Thank you all. I feel so helpless that I was unable to figure out this problem myself. I spent my career in a classroom, never had a tech class. I can't begin to tell you how beneficial this forum is to me.

Back