• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Carving with a flex shaft tool

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I have the Foredom flex shaft tool and have used it for many heavy carving duties. My question is for those of you have a greater knowledge or experience about these things. I have found my 1/3 hp foredom is absolutely great for heavy removal but the shaft is too short (or too stiff) for me to feel comfortable doing medium carving work. I have a mico-motor tool for delicate work but was considering buying a Master carver bench top like a good friend has been using. If I order a longer flex-shaft for my foredom will that allow me to do the same stuff the master carver will or is a better tool for the medium stock removal? A new shaft is much cheaper than another carving system. Just saying!

I use Dremels with extensions for both rotary and reciprocating. I also have a variable speed pistol [ around 600 watts ] drill with a heavy duty flexible extension. Its mounted near the Headstock on an arm that can swing and be extended, I use this for the heavy duty work.
I found this to be very cost effective and very rugged and certainly priced at a much more tolerant price than buying a system. So for my money go with the extension. :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Maybe mounting the motor in a different spot might help. I use it while sitting on my deck and have the motor on a short stand that is attached to the bench so that it is just above shoulder height. I sit with it close to my right shoulder and have the work in my lap. Of course my clothes get really filthy since the dust is blowing towards my face, but a smock and powered respirator help. For really fine detail work my Dremel tool are what I prefer.

Back