• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Id help needed

I bought this and another like it at an estate auction of a long time woodturner/woodworker/craftsman.
I made a bowl from one piece, (can’t find the photo) and have been staring at this thing for the last few years. Thinking about a vase or hollow form. A bit intimidating with all of the voids.

Anyway, other than being some kind of root, I’m stumped! Any suggestions? Both with wood identification and thoughts, insight from those of you with applicable experience.

Marc

IMG_2245.jpegIMG_2246.jpegIMG_2248.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
other than being some kind of root, I’m stumped!
That gave me a chuckle. Well done haha.

I don’t have much experience with rootballs, so I’ll abstain from that side of things. As to the wood, it has to be Manzanita. If not, color me surprised.

Can’t help with the ID but that is certainly an intimidating chunk of wood for those like me who tend to overthink the possibilities and don’t want to make the “wrong” choice. I wish you luck.

I’ve turned manzanita before. This isn’t as hard, so maybe it’s redwood, but seems too hard and dense for that. Although I’ve not had redwood burl or root stock.

The piece I have has a noticeable separation between root and above. Or maybe burl and normal wood?
I wetted the wood for the pictures.

IMG_2282.jpegIMG_2281.jpegIMG_2292.jpeg

Website
www.ovwg.org
It sure looks like Manzanita. Keep in mind that each piece of wood is different, so this one might be softer or harder then a previous piece you may have turned.

Back