• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood ID

I was given a bowl blank that was purchased from either Rockler or Woodcraft but no species identification.

I'm new to this and have limited experience with turning and wood species. I've turned a bit of pine, fir, walnut, oak, cedar, osage orange, pecan and hackberry.
None were near as hard as the wood in question. A lot of trips to the grinder. The little black pits are curiously interesting too.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpeg
    Pic1.jpeg
    539.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Pic2.jpeg
    Pic2.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Pic3.jpeg
    Pic3.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 115

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I realize it's just mostly curiosity, I'm of the opinion that if I don't know what kind of wood it is, who really cares. You made a pretty nice bowl from "some sort of wormy wood". Let the bowl (and its maker) "speak" rather than deferring to the species.

Only problem with the bowl is you haven't signed it (yet?).

Thanks, Dave. I thought that since it's so hard and has a burl-like grain pattern that it would be an interesting species to learn about and be on the lookout for. And fancy store-bought wood.....not in my back yard (that I know of).

Well, walnut does seem to require more trips to the grinder since it dulls all tools more than most other woods. Walnut does have a very distinct smell to it, which is why I can't turn it any more. It makes me sneeze and itch. Interesting bug holes. The bugs will go through the sap wood, but they don't touch the heart wood because it kills them.

robo hippy

Well, walnut does seem to require more trips to the grinder since it dulls all tools more than most other woods. Walnut does have a very distinct smell to it, which is why I can't turn it any more. It makes me sneeze and itch. Interesting bug holes. The bugs will go through the sap wood, but they don't touch the heart wood because it kills them.

robo hippy
This species is much harder than the few pieces of black walnut that I've turned.
Except for some wet Osage Orange I haven't turned anything that has a burl-type of grain. Maybe that dulls edges sooner?
Aside from a few pieces of pine/fir dimensional lumber this was also much drier than the wood I've been learning on

Website
www.ovwg.org

robo hippy
I don't think those are bug holes, I think they are bark inclusions or burl voids in the grain. But, this is just from experience turning the wood, I could be wrong....

Nice bowl!

It does look like the little pits from bark inclusions. The holes remind me of the elm burl I have on my lathe right now.

If it's walnut or elm you'd know by the smell (assuming you already know the scent). Walnut still gets me excited enough that just the smell gets my heart pumping a little more. This elm burl might start to make the same association.

Luckily, my shop is full of black and claro walnut, critters don't like the heartwood. they might make a cameo but they don't stay and eat (especially with the sapwood right next door).

Thanks, Keith.
Ya know, I've turned a couple of black walnut pieces but haven't noticed the odor. I wear a respirator but I'll take note next time I get some walnut.

Back