• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood shavings and some cheese...

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
I said Cheese - smoked that is ...

Decided to use up some of the excess Pecan and Maple shavings to cold smoke some sharp cheddar and jack cheese.

The trick is to keep the cheese as far from the heat as possible and under 100 degrees - hence the ice cubes.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 102
Romano turns great but doesn't take a finish too well, Cheddar is tougher to turn but takes a good friction polish, Velveeta is hard to keep in the chuck, and Cottage Cheese doesn't turn well at all.:cool2:

The pepper jack does start fires, but not in the wood, it does fire up my internal combustion motor, and the fumes are bio hazards.

robo hippy

Romano turns great but doesn't take a finish too well, Cheddar is tougher to turn but takes a good friction polish, Velveeta is hard to keep in the chuck, and Cottage Cheese doesn't turn well at all.:cool2:

You could try Parmesan or Romano (since they're best when scraped), but gotta keep the speed down. . . :D

Last edited:
CHEEZ!!! (or JEEZ!!)

A real challenge is string cheese.....especially the end grain. Takes a lot of CA to hold it together, and kinda chewy...................just shows to go ya, I R just as nutty as you guys!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I used some olive shavings on some ribs I did a few weeks ago, very good. I have also used shavings for jerky and cold smoked cheese. YUMM well worth the effort.

If you freeze the Velveeta with some liquid nitrogen first it is much easier to smoke, or turn for that matter!

John

Back