• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood sources

I have been turning for one year. The biggest problem seems trying to find good sources of wood (regardless of cost). I live in North Louisiana and find that we have very few lumbar yards that can assist with supply of the dimension wood that turners require. I have used Craft and a few other sources but wonder if anyone has a good source or two they don't mind sharing.

Sources for wood...

Since you mentioned price is not an issue, this is someone who is local for me but also will ship http://www.righteouswoods.net/.

When I was starting out I did a couple of eBay bulk purchases. I did this mostly because I wanted to try lots of different types of the common hardwoods. Most of the time I received what I was expecting. But I do have to say I received a positive surprise about as often as I received a negative surprise. If you go this route keep I would keep your expectations moderate, factor in shipping costs when you bid, buy multiple items with an eye on maximum package weights, and read the vendor reviews.

Regards,
Jeff

Website
www.FWCWT.org
David:
We've got a place around here that I like to call "The Free Wood Store".

It's the county brush dump.

I go about every 4 to 6 weeks and pick up whatever I can find.

I've been finding lots of citrus, Norfolk Island Pine, Camphor, and Osage Orange. Ocasionally, I've managed to find some Florida Maple and once I got a Florida Rosewood.

As long as I can lift it, and fit it into the van (they won't let peolpe use a chansaw) it's mine for the taking. Lot's of turners around here use it as a source for wood.

You probably have something just like that near you.

It would be worth looking into.

Good Luck.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
I don't recommend eBay anymore. The prices on turning blocks there have shot through the roof. Check with your city or county for their tree disposal location. Try the tree trimming companies. They have to dispose of the tree or cut it up for lumber. You might also check with a sawyer in your area for special varieties or burls.

In my area (SoCal) its difficult to get large bowl blanks unless its found wood or from the dump site. I've called various lumber suppliers for large blank sizes and they never have anything.

Smooth Turnings,

Brodie

Hi Dave,

I'll third, fourth, and fifth the recommendations to frequent your local woodcutters. I've found that there are usually businesses tucked around that have tree lots. These are places where, for a fee, tree cutters can dump their oversized logs and yard waste. They then grind it up for mulch or split it for firewood.

Find one nearby (or call a few tree guys and ask if they have log yards), bring the owner a cool little vase or bowl, and ask to walk around the lot. Don't ask for wood immediately. You can approach them after the walk around and ask it you can take one piece that you spotted. If they say yes, you're in and can write your own ticket. Just keep bringing them pretty things and don't abuse the priviledge. If they say no, just say thanks anyway and try again in a few weeks.

I haven't bought a piece of wood in nearly 4 years. Have actually had to give away and sell quite a bit, in fact.

Dietrich.

P.S. (Hey, Jeff. You're in Topsfield. Are you an ART member yet? If not, look us up in the local chapters guide and give me a call.)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I used to be able to go to the dump and the wood chipper and get all kinds of great wood. They closed those and won't let us have access anymore. People are always cutting trees somewhere around me so I just try to keep an eye open. Usually they cut them up too small and thier checking before I can get to them.
Tree trimming services are good but they want you there, right now, not tomorrow etc. I have befriended a couple and can get some wood on occasion but my best source is just driving around with my eyes open and talking to all my fellow employees and having them look for me as well. Giving out christmas ornaments and bowls and such keeps you in thier minds.
The only places I can buy wood in 3 to 6" thicknesses are 100 miles away and I don't get there often.
Another great source is to join a turning club. You get more ears that way and in our clubs we all bring wood when we have extra. When I get a large section of trunk I know it will go bad before I can use it so I cut it up and take it to the club meetings. Everyone loves that and they will usually do the same. It really helps those who don't have big bandsaws or chainsaws.

City Crew

David
My best source of burls is my city tree crew. I live in a small town and the city street crew will trim and take down dead or damaged trees every winter. If they have a target with burls they call me. I find them on my lunch hour and load up. Sometimes they cut to my specs sometimes I go back after work and get what I want. I will buy lunch or take donuts to thier shop as a thank you. We already have a tree picked out for this year that is just covered with burls. They are just going to load the whole tree in the dump truck and bring it to my house. This one might cost me donuts in the morning and beer after work but it will be worth it.
Frank

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
I agree

Check the local woodcutters, town dump, firewood sellers, tree surgeons, nurseries, stop where they're clearing land for building, drive around after big windstorms...there was lots of wood available your way after Katrina. Look for downed trees in local woods. Inquire with the state and national parks and forests about cutting downed timber, some issue rpemits allowing so many cords to be cut from stuff that's already down. Ask the various utilities, power company when and where they'll be clear cutting their rights of way. Check with lumber yards and the phone book for sawmills. The sky and your imagination are the only limits, there's lots of wood out there.

Mike

Back